[SOLVED] Selling my desktop... how do I manage my Windows 10 license?

JaxAgain

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
I built my own desktop and purchased an OEM version of Windows 10. I used the product key to active the license and then created a Microsoft account that linked the product key to my account. Which was great because I was then able to install a copy on my old laptop as well. (To be specific, I installed the original Windows 10 on a 128GB SSD, then switched that SSD into my laptop, and then installed the same license on a new 256GB SSD for my desktop).

So this is what I want to do: sell my gaming desktop but still keep the license that I have for my laptop AND use the same license to install it on a new work desktop that I want to build. Can it be done? Or will I not be able to install it on a new desktop?

Solution
The original drive was destroyed and along with it went the Windows 7 version I had on it. I slipped in an SSD that I had originally purchased for my desktop.

If you still have that windows 7 product key sticker, on the laptop, you can do a fresh install of Windows 10, using media creation tool, and use that product key, to upgrade to 10, for free, freeing up you desktop license, for another system.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I built my own desktop and purchased an OEM version of Windows 10. I used the product key to active the license and then created a Microsoft account that linked the product key to my account. Which was great because I was then able to install a copy on my old laptop as well. (To be specific, I installed the original Windows 10 on a 128GB SSD, then switched that SSD into my laptop, and then installed the same license on a new 256GB SSD for my desktop).

So this is what I want to do: sell my gaming desktop but still keep the license that I have for my laptop AND use the same license to install it on a new work desktop that I want to build. Can it be done? Or will I not be able to install it on a new desktop?

Clean Reinstall Windows 10 on the Gaming PC you are selling , but don't activate it during the install , let the purchaser \ buyer get a license and activate it later. It will still function normally except for a few customization features.

Feb 13, 2020
When I move a License to a new machine, I deactivate the license on the machine. Run Command prompt as Administrator and run the command:

slmgr.vbs /upk

After this, use the windows key on the new machine. It my not allow activation through online. If that is the case select phone activation and you can do this online. For Phone Activation prompt if you need to force it:

"Windows+R" > Type in "Slui 4" > (The Default Country is fine) Next > You should get to a page with a lot of numbers > In a web browser paste the link:

http://m.vivr.io/0tTcDnx

select 7 Digits for Windows 10 > Copy the numbers from the Slui window to the browser > Submit > If it takes you to a window asking how many installations there are, input 0 as you should have already uninstalled it from the old computer > Submit > On the Slui window click next > Copy the numbers from the browser to the Slui now

This should activate windows for you.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
The original drive was destroyed and along with it went the Windows 7 version I had on it. I slipped in an SSD that I had originally purchased for my desktop.

If you still have that windows 7 product key sticker, on the laptop, you can do a fresh install of Windows 10, using media creation tool, and use that product key, to upgrade to 10, for free, freeing up you desktop license, for another system.

Reactions: Ichisuke
Solution

so your'e going to sell a PC with no registered version of windows? that would be one way to bring the price down. unless you leave the part out to whomever buys it that it doesn't have a valid OS

sure, windows 10 can run unactivated but not every person knows that or what will happen if they leave it that way. it might be a definite no go for them

TRENDING THREADS