Question Selling my expensive threadripper - am I crazy?

Michelvw

Honorable
Oct 12, 2015
Dear all,

I've been running a threadripper 1950x from the release date back in 2017.
I bought it because at the time I was doing a lot of 3Ds max renders which depended heavily on CPU.

Right now my priorities lie at some light 3D, Photoshop, Illustrator, gaming! For this reason threadripper isn't really ideal as it is consuming a lot of power and has too much raw horsepower for what I do these days.

I have a chance to sell my processor, mobo and enermax watercooling for 700euro. Yep, I'd be feeling the dent in my wallet!

But that would free up space to buy someting new. Do you think that is enough for these components?
The reasoning is that I would buy an X470 mobo and 2600x now and buy a 3000series ryzen when it comes out.
It should be a lot more power efficient and be comparable to the very best intel CPU's in regards to gaming.
The 2600x would end up in a LAN gaming system.

Does this make any sense...? Or am I better to stick with the threadripper?
When I game i game 1440p which evens out the CPU performance mainly...I'm really confused on what to do here.

Looking at used prices 700 EUR is a decent price to get for those three parts. If the RAM is being kept. It's certainly more than enough money to buy the Ryzen 2600x, high end x470 motherboard and a good CPU heatsink. When the Ryzen 3000 series comes out. Factoring the resale value of the Ryzen 2600x and money leftover. There will likely be enough for a Ryzen 7 3700 or close to enough.

Why not get a Ryzen 2600 instead? It can overclock to the same specs as a 2600x. They are the same CPU with different factory setting. It would not use any more energy when tuned correctly. As factory settings tend to be over generous. A properly tuned Ryzen 2600 with 2600x speed settings and carefully adjusted VCore. Will likely use less energy than a 2600x with default settings.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (€152.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€56.98 @ ARLT)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€199.00 @ ARLT)
Total: €408.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-10 14:48 CEST+0200

This upgrade path isn't the most efficient. It's an awful lot of horse trading to get to Ryzen 3000 without all of it's benefits. If Ryzen 3000 is the goal. Consider waiting until it is released. Then pair it with an X570 motherboard for all the latest features. A lower resale value is a risk. However, the gain is a more complete upgrade.

Although the full features of x570 are unknown. Reportedly x470 can utilize PCIe 4.0 with Ryzen 3000 if the motherboard manufacturer include it in a BIOS update. Which is one of the biggest gains for x570. What other enhancements x570 offers remains to be seen.

Beyond a more energy efficient CPU. A major factor is what clock rates Ryzen 3000 will support. As the Ryzen 9 3850x will reportedly have a boost clock of 5.1Ghz. One may reasonably conclude other Ryzen 3000 models will overclock to around 5Ghz. Providing a noticeably boost in single threaded and lightly multi-threaded tasks. At 5Ghz a Ryzen 7 3700 may outperform a Threadripper 1950x at 4Ghz in heavily multi-threaded tasks.

If Ryzen 3000 is the goal. Consider waiting until it is released.
If Ryzen 3000 launches with a faster 16 core processor on the AM4 platform, that could definitely affect the resale value of a 1950X. So, maybe selling it now is potentially worth considering.

It's difficult to say exactly what the Ryzen 3000 series performance will be like though. Faster performance than the 2000 series is probably a given, but the exact performance levels are not yet known, and I would take rumored clock rates with a grain of salt, as they might not be accurate. It's also possible that moving to a chiplet design might affect latency in unknown ways. We will likely know more within the next few weeks, but if the rumored July 7th release date turns out to be true, there will still be a couple months before the CPUs are available and reviews come out.

I have no idea if the offered price is good or not.

If you are looking towards ryzen 3000 it makes sense to wait.
interim solutions are rarely good.
And... 3000 series might be a bit overhyped, and who knows if there will be a response from Intel?

OTOH, if TR is no longer good for you, sell it for what you can get now.
The price offered will likely only go down.

Current gen ryzen or Intel will run games very well.
It more likely depends on what graphics card you get.

TRENDING THREADS