Selling my old computer components to help pay for upgrade

elpidgeo

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and RAM on my current PC and thought it would be a good Idea to sell off my old parts to help pay for this.

looking around other than the likes of CEX which I can't find most of my components on, Ebay seems to be the best bet.

I was just wondering what sort of price I should expect to put these products online for sale and if I should put them on as a bundle or separately?

I'm looking to sell -
Intel I5 3570K with both stock and 3rd party heatsinks
Asus P8Z77-V
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DDR3 Ram

Thanks for your time

Solution
You may be able to sell it quicker if you sold an entire computer instead of the individual parts.

CPU already has an integrated gpu so all you should need is a case, a hard drive and an OS, Linux.

You could then sell it to some one in need of a computer.

A computer shop in the area may also be interested in the parts or even the completed pc for resale by them.

HEC - Voyager ATX Mid Tower Case
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121128
$30

Seagate - Barracuda 250GB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148451
$20

Linux
Free

noobwithpc

Reputable
May 6, 2017

Many people will not buy computer with Linux, so it will be better to download Windows 10 from Microsoft site, install it on that PC and keep it unsigned.

True but you need to be absolutely clear with the customer that the installed version of Windows 10 will not work and or become crippled in 30 days or so unless they pay for a Windows 10 License on their own.

If all grandma needs the computer for is checking her email / ebay then Linux is perfect and she doesn't need to worry about a thing.

Of course if the customer requests Windows 10 it doesn't take long for you to install it and activate it with the Windows 10 License that they buy / provide.

Solution

elpidgeo

Distinguished
May 1, 2014
brill, thanks guys, I dont know why I didn't think of doing that.

I already have my old PSU and a couple of old Hard drives in the loft as well so hopefully it will just be a case that I would need to buy to make a full build.

I might take derekullo's advise and put a copy of Linux on for now, like you say it takes no time at all to chuck a unsigned copy of windows on the machine if its requested.

thank you both for your answers to this.