[SOLVED] Selling my Windows PC- replacing OS SSD with a new one- will any data remain?

LordMaul

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
Hi guys,

I wan't to sell my current PC; with the exception of my OS SSD, which is a Samsung Pro 256 GB (I want to put this, and my licenced copy of Windows, into a new computer I'm going to build).

I was planning to sell my PC by putting in a blank new 256GB SSD with no OS installed.

My question is, will there be any data whatsoever left on the motherboard, or generally, from my old SSD or will it literally be an unrecognisable new PC once the replacement SSD is formatted and windows installed?

I'm fairly confident removing my SSD and putting in a clean one will remove all my data, but I just want to be sure.

It's difficult for me to test this, as I would have to get a new Windows licence to find out.

Thanks, any feedback on my question would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
When you remove the SSD just reset the BIOS then you are fine. Just remember that you cannot just put that SSD in a new pc because it will not boot. When you install the old SSD make sure you have a USB stick with windows on it to install windows again. after that is done then a WINDOWS.OLD file has been created and there will all your files be stored from the previous installation then if you are done just delete it.

If you install the newer SSD onto the old pc i would suggest installing windows 10 pro on it. Buy a licence key and sell it for more. Since licence keys are really cheap if you know where to look.

Windows 10 key...

ebosss03

Reputable
May 1, 2018
When you remove the SSD just reset the BIOS then you are fine. Just remember that you cannot just put that SSD in a new pc because it will not boot. When you install the old SSD make sure you have a USB stick with windows on it to install windows again. after that is done then a WINDOWS.OLD file has been created and there will all your files be stored from the previous installation then if you are done just delete it.

If you install the newer SSD onto the old pc i would suggest installing windows 10 pro on it. Buy a licence key and sell it for more. Since licence keys are really cheap if you know where to look.

Windows 10 key: https://www.hrkgame.com/en/games/pr...medium=referral&utm_source=www.allkeyshop.com

Windows 10 pro download for USB: https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/software-download/windows10

Solution

LordMaul

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
But windows license will remain registered with old hardware.
You have to transfer license to a different pc before you sell the pc.

Thanks, so how can I do this within a few hours? Your information would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on selling it tonight, with the blank new 500GB SSD physically installed.

We are talking about windows 10. Correct?

Make sure your windows license is linked to your MS account.
Have another pc.
Install windows 10 on it (same version Home/Pro as on old pc).
Use activation troubleshooter to transfer windows license to it.

If you don't do this, your windows license goes away with your old pc.

LordMaul

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
Yes, we are talking about Windows 10 x64.

So let me get this straight, I will need to have another PC already before selling my current one to transfer my windows licence properly?

LordMaul

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
Really appreciate your help. Yes I am happy to give away my licence, I have access to another copy for free and I'm constrained by time. So please my I ask for one final bit of advice- to have my PC ready for the buyer this evening, what should I do? Delete everything on my PC, and then reinstall windows and give the buyer the Windows Key? Is there any software you recommend I use to wipe my SSD completely of any of my personal stuff/passwords etc?

TRENDING THREADS