[SOLVED] Selling Old Motherboard, CPU, and Ram

May 26, 2021
I am planning on selling an old motherboard, CPU, and RAM. However, I removed the hard drive with the Windows 10 retail key installed and used it for my other build. Do I have to worry about the old motherboard, CPU. and RAM still retaining Windows 10?

Solution
I did the install a year ago. I have had no problems with the old OS with the new Motherboard. However, the device manager for my Microsoft account displays only my new desktop since I removed the old desktops. Does this not mean that the retail key is active with my new motherboard? If not I think my next three statements accomplished the re-validate, right? I checked the settings. It shows that the digital license is activated for this device. I also ran a command prompt I found online that showed my key was installed on this device.
Given all that, all seems to be well.

The old parts have nothing to do with the license. Sell as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
I am planning on selling an old motherboard, CPU, and RAM. However, I removed the hard drive with the Windows 10 retail key installed and used it for my other build. Do I have to worry about the old motherboard, CPU. and RAM still retaining Windows 10?
You transferred this Win 10 license to your new system?

The CPU and RAM have nothing to do with the license.
Assuming your MS account does NOT have the old motherboard associated, it does not either.

USAFRet

Titan
I just connected my hard drive to the new system, and Windows 10 booted. How do I un-associate the license from the old motherboard.
  1. While it may have booted up, they may be (likely are) gremlins lurking in there. Depending on the difference between old and new system.
  2. You have an account at Microsoft? Go there, and look under Devices. See what it says.

Remove a device from your Microsoft account
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...nt-selling-gifting-windows-10-device-xbox-one

May 26, 2021
I removed every other device besides my current system that I want to keep. Does this fix my problem? In addition, how do I get rid of those gremlins?

USAFRet

Titan
I removed every other device besides my current system that I want to keep. Does this fix my problem? In addition, how do I get rid of those gremlins?
Generally, with a new motherboard and old drive+OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine.
  2. It fails completely. Does not boot up at all.
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3.

#1 is the least likely to happen.

The way to remove those gremlins? A fresh install with the new hardware.

May 26, 2021
I did the install a year ago. I have had no problems with the old OS with the new Motherboard. However, the device manager for my Microsoft account displays only my new desktop since I removed the old desktops. Does this not mean that the retail key is active with my new motherboard? If not I think my next three statements accomplished the re-validate, right? I checked the settings. It shows that the digital license is activated for this device. I also ran a command prompt I found online that showed my key was installed on this device.

USAFRet

Titan
Given all that, all seems to be well.

The old parts have nothing to do with the license. Sell as desired.

Solution
May 26, 2021
Ok thank you so much for your guys quick response. I will try to keep in mind, for the future, to do a clean install when I change hardware, and to remove my old devices through Microsoft. Thanks again!

InvalidError

Titan
My NVMe SSD hasn't shipped yet so I decided to just swap my i5-3470 with an i5-11400 and see what luck I get with the brain transplant approach. Ran memtest86 a couple of times using different RAM settings to find stability limits, no errors found down to 1.2V RAM voltage. Plugged all of my drives into the new motherboard, picked the boot device, waited 5min for Windows to update hardware configuration, re-entered my Win10 product key to re-activate, done.

I have four unidentified devices in Device Manager even after installing all of Asus' bloatware and drivers, all of the stuff I know should be in there works as far as I can tell, so I have no idea what the mystery devices might be. Windows Update doesn't have any drivers for them and device descriptions look like they are just SMB stuff. The only problem I have run into so far is that Redout spontaneously exits after the seizure warning screen, will see what happens to it when I try running it again from a fresh install after I get my SSD..