Question Selling PC, what next Steps to Take?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hi,

It has Windows 10 Pro, how do I Reset, delete, factory, erase everything from the SSD drive so the PC is like its just been built with no OS or anything on the SSD drive ready for fresh install of windows or Whatever?

Will a Windows 10 Pro OEM Product License Key that has already been used activated, still work again for a fresh install for the same pc that it has already been activated on in the past?

If I buy a new Windows 10 Pro OEM Product License Key from Amazon, then can this be used to activate Windows 11 Pro?

Cheers,

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Yes might as well, if the license still works but I don't want to go through the time and hassle of installing windows and drivers again, I let the buyer choose whatever the buyer wants to install on it and if the buyer wants to install windows onto it then I am happy to give the OS windows license key if it activates works.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes might as well, if the license still works but I don't want to go through the time and hassle of installing windows and drivers again, I let the buyer choose whatever the buyer wants to install on it and if the buyer wants to install windows onto it then I am happy to give the OS windows license key if it activates works.
OK...

Either:
Do a full OS wipe and reinstall.
STOP (Power OFF) when it start asking for personal info and your MS account.

or

Fully wipe any and all drives in the system.
Write down and give the new owner the Windows license key.
Let HIM do the whole install.

In either case, document the license key and give it to him, preferably on paper.
Also, disassociate this system from YOUR MS account.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...nt-selling-gifting-windows-10-device-xbox-one
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...10-on-it/cce23fed-bc37-46bb-9b8c-5da9efe7cb65

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hi yes I like to go with this method that you mentioned above:

Fully wipe any and all drives in the system.
Write down and give the new owner the Windows license key.
Let HIM do the whole install.

Okay how do I do this?

Thanks,

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can use the "reset this PC" option, but it is not as secure. Really comes down to whether creating a bootable USB and the time/effort required are worth the peace of mind to you.

Another aspect, if you signed in with an MS account, go to their website under your account and remove this device. edit- oops, I see that was already covered as well.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
You can use the "reset this PC" option, but it is not as secure. Really comes down to whether creating a bootable USB and the time/effort required are worth the peace of mind to you.

Another aspect, if you signed in with an MS account, go to their website under your account and remove this device. edit- oops, I see that was already covered as well.

Okay Reset this PC option, what do you mean not as secure? Does reset this pc formats the hard drive and does a fresh install of windows 10 again?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
A simple "reset" may leave parts of you behind.

A full wipe and reinstall is more secure.

Hi coming back here, is there any more alternatives to the two above? Is there like a "reset" without leaving parts of you behind basically factory reset windows 10 without doing a full wipe and reinstall windows 10 again which is stressful and time consuming you know what I mean.

What parts does a reset leave behind and can I manually search for these after reset and just delete them?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi coming back here, is there any more alternatives to the two above? Is there like a "reset" without leaving parts of you behind basically factory reset windows 10 without doing a full wipe and reinstall windows 10 again which is stressful and time consuming you know what I mean.

What parts does a reset leave behind and can I manually search for these after reset and just delete them?
You're selling this system, right?

Why is a full wipe and reinstall, as mentioned above, not an option?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Yeah SSD, I'm still using PC before it sells on craigslist marketplace hence if a buyer contacts me and is interested to buy on the day I don't think buyer will wait for me to do all that so I asked if there's a quicker way. Nowadays people have less money so takes longer to sell stuff at the price you want you know what I mean.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah SSD, I'm still using PC before it sells on craigslist marketplace hence if a buyer contacts me and is interested to buy on the day I don't think buyer will wait for me to do all that so I asked if there's a quicker way. Nowadays people have less money so takes longer to sell stuff at the price you want you know what I mean.
What is stopping you from doing it right now, and putting the PC on a shelf until it sells?

If you had started an hour ago when you asked, it would be long done by now.

USAFRet

Titan
Is there just 2 options methods available below to me or is there more:

- A simple "reset" may leave parts of you behind.

- A full wipe and reinstall is more secure.
From your comments and concerns...

A "reset" is not any faster than the full wipe and reinstall.
Given someone driving over to your house....either will be mostly done by the time he pulls up to your house.

Even better if you say "Come at 3PM" (or whatever is an hour from now)

If you want to completely eradicate all traces of you....full wipe and reinstall.

Reactions: very_452001