Selling PCs in a different way

8procstooslow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With all the different processors out now at different speeds I think we will be seeing PCs sold differently in the near future. Mhz will no longer the the major factor is selling, but the application will.
e.g.
P4+RDram or Dual processor Athlons and PIII Graphics editing workstation
1Ghz+ Athlon+DDR Ram or 1Ghz PIII+RDRAM, high end CAD/3D workstation, high end games machine
<1Ghrz Athlon/PIII general purpose PC, mid range games machine.
Duron/Celeron low end PC
Obviously the list can be split down further and include future generations of CPUs. The market is now very confusing for the general public that doesn't have time to research the type of PC they want or knowledge to understand the information on hand.
You could argue about using the P4 for games, but at the end of the day most gamers (kids, young adults) do not have the type of money to spend on a P4+RDRAM+Geforce2 Ultra,
so they will more likly go for a high end general purpose PC.
The upper mid range is IMHO a problem for intel for the next 6 months. The P4 will be expensive due to the large die size, so will only be an option of companies that need the P4 for its strengths.
Above 1Ghz the Athlon is the only CPU available at the moment. This type of machine does sell very well and will be the big earner for AMD.
At the mid range the PIII and Athlon will compete as usual, with the PIII out selling the Athlon purly on number of chips produced.
The low end may very well be cleaned up with the Duron now that SiS and VIA will release integrated boards in the very near future.

Thats enough of my ramblings

G

I am not sure that the Marketing Depts of the major CPU Makers will let this happen especially as Mhz is one of the major selling points of the P4.....
In the UK if you pick a good shop to buy your Pre Built System you will get this kind of advice, but it is still only advice and the Mhz seems to hold some kind of status and it's a public symbol of the power....
PLS Remember almost everyone in this forum has enough knowledge or interest to try and build or customise a PC ,but we are in the minority ,most people want ot plug it in switch it on and play minesweeper or write a letter....

well thats what I think....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

It's sad but true. If you can show people getting bigger numbers for less cost, they'll likely buy. It was rather gutsy for them to switch over to GHz as it shrinks the numbers dramatically. They're counting on the average consumer to have the brain power to catch that kind of stuff. >;)

Charles

TheDoc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are right that people don't always get the math part figured out. All a salesman needs to say is that a GHz is a thousand times faster than a MHz.

"Wow, a thousand times faster? I'll get the GHz!"