Semantec (Norton) antivirus and MS Word

Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a waste.
I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to hold a key
down while launching a program on something that you might not trust.
Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the lag time it
takes for the scan. What can I do?

Open Norton and look for Options.

I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.

Open Word
1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2.. Click the Security tab.
3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you
want to use.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
> time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a
> waste.
> I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to hold a key
> down while launching a program on something that you might not trust.
> Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the lag time it
> takes for the scan. What can I do?

MS Word documents and Excel Spreadsheets can contain Macros, and these
macros can contain malicious code. I would recommend that you continue to
let Norton continue to scan these files. Life is not so short that you
cannot wait 2 seconds while the files are scanned.

Bobby

I can't find options in Norton that say anything (that I understand) that
indicates that it will stop checking just because you opened the word
application. As to the 2nd option, regardless of the settings in Word, the
opening of the document takes the same amount of time due to Norton Scan
Time.

Thanks

> Open Norton and look for Options.
>
> I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.
>
> Open Word
> 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
> 2.. Click the Security tab.
> 3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
> 4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you
> want to use.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
> JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
> > time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a
> > waste. I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to
> > hold a key down while launching a program on something that you might
not
> > trust. Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the lag
> > time it takes for the scan. What can I do?

Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999091612160606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002080511355806&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab56492973adccd8825694500552355/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

If one of these doesn't do it (there are 9 more), go here and paste:
Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office
in the Search box
http://www.symantec.com/search/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:vwOMe.9912$rR4.2721@trnddc08,
JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I can't find options in Norton that say anything (that I understand) that
> indicates that it will stop checking just because you opened the word
> application. As to the 2nd option, regardless of the settings in Word,
> the opening of the document takes the same amount of time due to Norton
> Scan Time.
>
> Thanks

>> Open Norton and look for Options.
>>
>> I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.
>>
>> Open Word
>> 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
>> 2.. Click the Security tab.
>> 3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
>> 4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you
>> want to use.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
>> JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Is there anyway to stop the Virus scan from scanning your document every
>>> time you try to open a word document. I'm really sick of it. What a
>>> waste. I understand what they are trying to do. Maybe they need a to
>>> hold a key down while launching a program on something that you might
>>> not trust. Anyway. I want to open documents on my computer without the
>>> lag time it takes for the scan. What can I do?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ive decided to keep it on.

> Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
Office

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999091612160606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2002080511355806&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

> Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
Office

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/aab56492973adccd8825694500552355/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

> Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
Office

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/5faa3ca6df6f549888256edd0061c0a4/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

> Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
Office

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/2efb6ccf3c61c14c852567ee0058f96a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

> If one of these doesn't do it (there are 9 more), go here and paste:
> Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft
Office
> in the Search box
> http://www.symantec.com/search/
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:vwOMe.9912$rR4.2721@trnddc08,
> JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I can't find options in Norton that say anything (that I understand)
that
> > indicates that it will stop checking just because you opened the word
> > application. As to the 2nd option, regardless of the settings in Word,
> > the opening of the document takes the same amount of time due to Norton
> > Scan Time.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Open Norton and look for Options.
> >>
> >> I use AVG 7 and unchecking Scan Documents just seems to upset AVG.
> >>
> >> Open Word
> >> 1.. On the Tools menu, click Options.
> >> 2.. Click the Security tab.
> >> 3.. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
> >> 4.. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level
you
> >> want to use.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:OkMMe.9375$1b5.2061@trnddc05,
> >> JCO <joliviero@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

The articles are very informative, therefore I decided to leave them on.

TRENDING THREADS