Mar 15, 2021
Hey Guys, So I recently built my first PC and I'm having some issues.

It boots and runs fine but at seemingly random intervals the screen freezes and unfreezes making it appear like the frame rate has dropped below zero, then my monitor stops receiving a HDMI signal and the peripherals RGB turns off, but the PC does not power off or restart it just sits their and doesn't do anything until I force a restart by holding the power button.

Nothing is showing up in the Event Viewer, the only critical error is one caused by me forcing a reboot.

Once when it "crashed" it showed a semi-transparent blue screen, so maybe it's blue screening but can't display the blue screen? That doesn't explain why it doesn't restart though.

System Specs If You Need Them:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1650
Motherboard: MSI A320M-A Pro Max
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
SSD: 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Integrator 500W

Any other info you need? Just ask.
Thanks,
GetYaArmour

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like a case of bad power supply to me. The fact that the whole system lost power and strange power behavior on the monitor is more likely to be power issue. Couple that with the error happening when you're putting a load (gaming) on the system. Either way, replace the PSU ASAP. Brands like Aerocool, Armaggeddon, and whatever are just cheap silver box PSU in pretty black, powder-coated cases.

I'm assuming you're not overclocking the memory (more likely to cause such symptoms) and/or the processor. In either overclocking case, though, the system freeze would usually be complete with no weird semi-transparent thing. Memory OC would especially do lockups, and BSODs, with processor OC straight out blackscreening or BSODs.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Sounds like a case of bad power supply to me. The fact that the whole system lost power and strange power behavior on the monitor is more likely to be power issue. Couple that with the error happening when you're putting a load (gaming) on the system. Either way, replace the PSU ASAP. Brands like Aerocool, Armaggeddon, and whatever are just cheap silver box PSU in pretty black, powder-coated cases.

I'm assuming you're not overclocking the memory (more likely to cause such symptoms) and/or the processor. In either overclocking case, though, the system freeze would usually be complete with no weird semi-transparent thing. Memory OC would especially do lockups, and BSODs, with processor OC straight out blackscreening or BSODs.

Reactions: GetYaArmour
Solution
Mar 15, 2021

System doesn't seem to power off though? All the fans inside the case continue spinning and the light's don't turn off?

Do you have any recommendations for a decent psu on a budget?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
System doesn't seem to power off though? All the fans inside the case continue spinning and the light's don't turn off?

Do you have any recommendations for a decent psu on a budget?

Yeah, just because the fans spin and lights glow doesn't always mean there is ample (and decently stable --no need to be so clean) power going to the actual important components. Had a cheapo OEM PSU died just like yours, with the fans running when plugged in either the PWM headers on the motherboard or through Molex but the system going through random restarts instead of freezing.

I'd recommend something like Corsair's CX550, or like bignastyid said, the 450W model. Failing that, maybe get a higher wattage usage one that is still in good order (like older Antecs, or heck, FSP group ones. I have a particular liking for Great Wall units since they are the OEM for a lot of brands anyway, and they add a unique brand to what otherwise be Corsairs).

Mar 15, 2021
Yeah, just because the fans spin and lights glow doesn't always mean there is ample (and decently stable --no need to be so clean) power going to the actual important components. Had a cheapo OEM PSU died just like yours, with the fans running when plugged in either the PWM headers on the motherboard or through Molex but the system going through random restarts instead of freezing.

I'd recommend something like Corsair's CX550, or like bignastyid said, the 450W model. Failing that, maybe get a higher wattage usage one that is still in good order (like older Antecs, or heck, FSP group ones. I have a particular liking for Great Wall units since they are the OEM for a lot of brands anyway, and they add a unique brand to what otherwise be Corsairs).

Update, Now the PC occasionally actually shows a blue screen with Clock_Watchdog_Timeout, and BlueScreenView is pointing at ntoskrnl.exe as the culprit. Is this still related to having a bad PSU?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Update, Now the PC occasionally actually shows a blue screen with Clock_Watchdog_Timeout, and BlueScreenView is pointing at ntoskrnl.exe as the culprit. Is this still related to having a bad PSU?

That can be. Clock_watchdog is (from experience) related to poor CPU stability, but also at times from poor RAM stability. Ntoskrnl is almost certainly memory, though.
In that light, it's either bad RAM stick(s), or there's instability in your voltage. Try seeing in BIOS what are your voltages especially 12V. It should read 12V with max 10% deviation.
Other than that, try to use one RAM stick at a time in each slot. Could be just a weird issue from bad RAM and/or slot.
Personally, my next step is making sure the PSU is supplying the appropriate voltage all the time, idle, under load, maximum load.

Mar 15, 2021
That can be. Clock_watchdog is (from experience) related to poor CPU stability, but also at times from poor RAM stability. Ntoskrnl is almost certainly memory, though.
In that light, it's either bad RAM stick(s), or there's instability in your voltage. Try seeing in BIOS what are your voltages especially 12V. It should read 12V with max 10% deviation.
Other than that, try to use one RAM stick at a time in each slot. Could be just a weird issue from bad RAM and/or slot.
Personally, my next step is making sure the PSU is supplying the appropriate voltage all the time, idle, under load, maximum load.

12V saying its at 12.192

I'll check RAM now

Mar 15, 2021

Windows Memory Diagnostic says no prolems,
I've ordered a new PSU anyway (a good one this time, corsair 450w)

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Windows Memory Diagnostic says no prolems,
I've ordered a new PSU anyway (a good one this time, corsair 450w)

Yup, also try your usual workload or particularly if you were doing something when the system crashed. Unstable components can only be truly tested through usage,in my opinion. My RAM OC ran through synthetics fine but crashed when I put rendering load on it, for instance.

I really do hope the PSU was the culprit. Can imagine the frustration and that's what I'd personally do also.

Mar 15, 2021
Yup, also try your usual workload or particularly if you were doing something when the system crashed. Unstable components can only be truly tested through usage,in my opinion. My RAM OC ran through synthetics fine but crashed when I put rendering load on it, for instance.

I really do hope the PSU was the culprit. Can imagine the frustration and that's what I'd personally do also.

I don't think there's any particular thing that would cas Ram to crash. Sometimes it would crash when downloading, sometimes it will crash when I'm playing Battlefront. I'm just going to keep if powered off until the new PSU arrives and hope to hell that that fixes it otherwise I'm kinda screwed, I'd probably have to send it somewhere to find the problem.