Question Semi dead hd7770?

McXred

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi.
I have received a few components off my friend that had them lying around and one of them was an Asus HD 7770 (v2 if that matters).
When I first turned pc with it on I got it to work for a minute and then the signal? Would be lost. But not in a way its lost but just the screen is black and monitor still receives signal. Then it was weird because it would come up but with 4 green lines of artifacts and distorted image but wouldn't lose signal. After few times of turning it off and on again I got it to work and installed drivers on it. Then it would work marvellous (apart from fan working either at 100% or not at all) and not even reach 50°C on core under load.
After that i used it for about a week or so and then swapped a you out for a quick test of another one. And then when putting this one back in it would not boot if the drivers were installed and when I uninstalled them GPU would post but have those green lines again. PC would boot in 1024 x 768 res and when I switched it to the native one (1440x900) it would change the lines instead of thick vertical ones to very thin and kind of stairing down thin lines. I could not put the fan on so it is dead now but the GPU would not lose signal etc. When I tried installing drivers through amd setup it would crash with weird artifacts. So I booted into safe mode used DDU to get rid of all the drivers that were probably corrupted due to crash and tried to install it through the amd thing again but it said I had it installed already?¿ So I used the device manager to install the drivers by selecting the folder. It would successfully install them. When I rebooted the pc nie it just goes to windows boot screen and after few seconds of the animation screen goes blank and the fans on GPU ramp up to 100%.
Is the GPU dead then or can I bring it back to life again?
Thanks in advance and sorry for bad layout of the post but I'm writing this using a phone so the experience isn't the best

With an old videocard I'd remove the fan/heatsink and replace the thermal paste first. Then test it. You'll probably need to disconnect the fan plug, which means you'll have a chance to reseat it properly when you reassemble everything. If that doesn't help then I'd consider this card to be damaged in some way.