Semi-important HL2 info

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.halflifesource.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=18704" target="_new">Major disruption at PHL over HL2</A>

This might not be direct GPU news but I feel that HL2 is so important and integral to the graphics community that I posted it here.
To all you haters out there that dont want it here, or merely because I posted this, tough.

I've pretty much had the same sentiments about HL2 for a long time now, since the HL2 "leak".

I for one, have forgotten about this game and care not when or if its ever released.

/eagerly awaiting the true champions of gaming graphics, Unreal Tournament X and Doom 3

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
First off...wrong forum. Second...we know of your dislike of HL2 because of it's relation to ATi. Dont even try claiming that it's not the reason.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
You're in the wrong forum, I have the one your in need of right <A HREF="http://www.teacherfocus.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=45" target="_new">here</A>.

If you read the post instead of making something out of nothing you'd see that Valve actually has hurt their relations with ATI due to their actions.. it has nothing to do with my distaste for ATI at all. In fact I dont see any way that this could be "ATI hate". If anything, Valve dicked over ATI.

Guess that bigwig from PHL hates ATI as well.
Exactly. Your a f'n idiot. If you have nothing worthwhile to say, can it.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Your a f'n idiot. If you have nothing worthwhile to say, can it.
/ignore

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Man, it ain't PC to be ripping on special ed kids... anyway, why don't you care about HL2 anymore? You're telling me that even though it might be a good game (when released), you don't care because of the "leak?" Grade A BS. Whether you hate ATi or not I don't see how delays in a game's release could affect caring about it or not... Halo 2 for Xbox has been delayed, yet no one is complaining about that (save for anticipation).

AHHH <b>MOTHERLAND!!!!!</b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Its more about Valve than HL2 itself.
It will be nice when it comes out, but who knows when and until it does I just dont really care. I probably wont pay much attention to it when it does.
I am/have been a huge fan of the HL mods for years, and just because its named "Half Life" 2 or 3 doesnt mean it really is another Half Life.

To me there is only one HL and I just dont think Valve actions have been promising in the least.
The next "Half Life" (hypothetically) will likely be something else, if you get what I'm saying.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
I agree that it looks like Valve has been mis-behaving, but I didn't see any reference to any hardware companies anywhere in the thread ,so I'm curious where you got the idea that Valve has hurt their relationship with ATi (maybe it was in another thread, I'm not a PHL regular). I don't think it really matters, Valve would be a bunch of fools if they didn't release games playable on hardware from all of the major players.

BTW, I'm not a "fanboy" of any company. I'm from the camp that believes competition is good for the consumer, and I always buy based on which company offers the best performance for the buck at the time.

Shouldn't this be in another forum?

Peace.

cleeve

Illustrious
I think it would hurt their relationship with Ati because Ati's been promising free HL2 with Radeons for some time now.

It doesn't really make Ati look good by association when people have been sitting on their HL2 vouchers for 6 months. In any case, I doubt Ati is happy about it.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Ahh, I see. Your previous statement was misleading...
If you read the post instead of making something out of nothing you'd see that Valve actually has hurt their relations with ATI due to their actions.
I didn't see that (kind of funny actually), though I can see how a lot of people could be pissed off because they might have to wait longer for the game.

It looks to me like the folks at Valve made a PR mistake and forget to stop lieing. When they first started developing the game they kept it a big secret and basically had to lie about it to keep it that way. Then after they went public with it they forgot to stop lieing when they got a little negative publicity. Instead of saying, "We have no comment at this time", they said they hadn't heard anything about it before and they don't know what you're talking about, in response to various rumors. Some of the rumors turned out to be true and now they look like a bunch of a$$holes. Oh well, I'll probably still buy their game.

This is the graphics cards forum, right?

Peace.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: I didn't see that (kind of funny actually), though I can see how a lot of people could be pissed off because they might have to wait longer for the game.

It does say this...

how Valve has messed up their relationships with Ritual, Gearbox, Vivendi (do you think Vivendi is a big fan of Steam?), and ATI...

And ATI and their consumers have every right to be miffed. I think ATI paid valve something like 11 million to ship HL2 with their cards. Just crazy

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Ahh, I stand corrected.

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it, hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart. -C.S. Lewis

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
doenst matter, nobody reads the other sections anyways ;P

valve.. is .. annoying .. i want that game so bad but this is just retarded

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Now, I could go on and on, talking about Steam, all the screw-ups with Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (I mean, JESUS, how do you declare a game GOLD, say it's FINISHED, and then not ship it until NEARLY SIX MONTHS LATER?), how Valve has messed up their relationships with Ritual, Gearbox, Vivendi (do you think Vivendi is a big fan of Steam?), and ATI... I could point out all the things Valve said they'd do but didn't, like releasing the HL2 benchmark or the SDK.
Thats what I was referring too.

The connection was enough for me to post it here in this forum. It wouldnt get much attention in the other ones, plus most everyone here would be interested in this guys' opinion.
Its becoming more common.

edit- I noticed a local idiot already pointed out the ATI connection so my post is a bit redundant.

Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 04/21/04 09:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I think it would hurt their relationship with Ati because Ati's been promising free HL2 with Radeons for some time now.

It doesn't really make Ati look good by association when people have been sitting on their HL2 vouchers for 6 months. In any case, I doubt Ati is happy about it.

Exactly.

Too bad GW cant see this. But I never deemed him the brain of operations around here.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I've never tried to be....

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
No worries, you can have my brain for the summer! We'll swap after finals...I've trained it to work without sleep for 2 days (3 days u start tripping, but that can be fun). Let's see...it'll also get u into a lot of pissing contests and fights (might wanna lift to get big like me :tongue: ). And the best part is it doesn't mind fanboy talk. So u'll have mine and yours in there, should be fun. In the meantime I'll need something dumbed down and will return it very much dumbed down with all the drinking I'll be doing. Do we have a deal?

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 04/21/04 11:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: edit- I noticed a local idiot already pointed out the ATI connection so my post is a bit redundant.

Ok kinney nice can of WORMS you just opened... I am going to personaly see you eat every one of them..

Enjoy.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I like to go fishing, so mind if I steal a few? I'll need about 50. Kinney's on a diet, so I think this works out for me and him.

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Aye. Maybe all those slanderous attacks you waged on me for my opinions in the CPU forum are coming back on you.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Slanderous. You earned every one of them. and i am just getting started.

Take a look at the lets make a deal thread. tough guy.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Slanderous. You earned every one of them. and i am just getting started.

Take a look at the lets make a deal thread. tough guy.
LOL youve got to be kidding me. Talking big calling me a tough guy in a forum? I'd like to knock your head off in RL you little puss.

I'm not going to respond to your stupid attempts to start some kind of war.

You= waste of time.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yes you are cause I am going to make you.

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Halo 2 for Xbox has been delayed, yet no one is complaining about that (save for anticipation).
I just thought I'd point out that it wasn't really delayed because there was never and still isn't a release date for the game. Bungie recently said that they are confident that the game will ship in the fall of this year and unlike other companies, when Bungie says something, they usually stick to it.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Listen ppl! If you don't stop this crap you are ALL equally dumb idiots!

<font color=red>Is common sense that common?</font color=red>

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-decent one every year?</font color=green> :cool: