Semi-new build freezes at "starting windows"

mememaster

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
So just a few days ago I replaced my fx-8350 build with an intel one, but when I attempt to start my PC it goes to the starting windows screen, begins the animation with the dots and freezes about 1 second after.

My specs are as follows:
Rosewill 750W Gold PSU
Asus H110M-K Micro ATX Motherboard
Intel i5 6600k
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB 2133MHz DDR4
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

These are the things I've currently ruled out: GPU, PSU, and HDD.
Even when I boot from a USB drive I get the same freezing on Windows 7, and even Ubuntu. Could it be a heat related issue?

If you guys have any suggestions or have an idea what the culprit would most likely be in this situation it would be appreciated greatly.

Update: So after taking it apart and putting it back together, the RAM doesn't work in one of the memory slots. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the motherboard or the RAM itself. Also, just ran Memtest86+ and it crashes instantly when not in failsafe mode. But even when it IS in failsafe mode, it doesn't budge.

Just bought a new stick of RAM... Hopefully this will end my suffering. Will report back when it arrives.

Update 2: Put in my new stick of RAM (same exact kind) and all is working great!

Amuffinattack

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Have you tried booting it in safe mode? While its starting tap the f8 key repeatedly until it gives you the option to start in safe mode. When I had this problem it was a driver corruption. Booting in safe mode will at least tell you where the problem driver is, if it is driver related.

mememaster

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016

I'm not sure if it's this specific motherboard but when I spam f8 I get a list of boot devices to choose from, but no option to boot in safe mode