Sempron 2200 vs Athlon XP 1800

I'm building a server out of an old PC and have just ordered a sempron
2200 bundle build it.

My partner is using another PC powered by an Athlon XP 1800 CPU. Is
the sempron likely to be faster than the Athlon XP 1800? Is so, I'll
use the Athlon to power the server and give my partner the Sempron
machine.

TIA,

Colin

The difference should be minimal. The Sempron 2200 has a marginally
slower cpu clock (1.5 GHz vs 1.533 GHz), but a faster bus (DDR 333 vs
DDR 266). I would expect the Sempron to be slightly faster, all things
being equal, but in practice differences in chip sets or amount of
memory could be more important. If the XP1800 is being used on an older
motherboard that doesn't use DDR memory, it will be held back further.

If the XP 1800 is one of the older .18 micron parts, it will likely
have a higher power consumption, in which case you might prefer the
Sempron for the server if this will be on more of the time.

Robert

On 28 Feb 2005 00:37:27 -0800, colin.steadman@gmail.com wrote:

>I'm building a server out of an old PC and have just ordered a sempron
>2200 bundle build it.
>
>My partner is using another PC powered by an Athlon XP 1800 CPU. Is
>the sempron likely to be faster than the Athlon XP 1800? Is so, I'll
>use the Athlon to power the server and give my partner the Sempron
>machine.

By a small (read: you'll never notice it) margin, yes the Sempron
should be faster. The AthlonXP 1800+ runs at 1533MHz and a 266MT/s
bus speed. The Sempron 2200+ runs at 1500MHz with a 333MT/s bus
speed. The small drop in core clock speed should be more than made up
for by the increase in bus speed. Overall though they are likely to
be within 5% of one another when it comes to performance.

-------------
Tony Hill

robert.inkol@rogers.com wrote:
> The difference should be minimal. The Sempron 2200 has a marginally
> slower cpu clock (1.5 GHz vs 1.533 GHz), but a faster bus (DDR 333 vs
> DDR 266). I would expect the Sempron to be slightly faster, all
things
> being equal, but in practice differences in chip sets or amount of
> memory could be more important. If the XP1800 is being used on an
older
> motherboard that doesn't use DDR memory, it will be held back
further.

> If the XP 1800 is one of the older .18 micron parts, it will likely
> have a higher power consumption, in which case you might prefer the
> Sempron for the server if this will be on more of the time.
>
> Robert

Thanks Guys.

I've decided to follow your advice and use the Sempron in the server as
there doesn't seem to be any benefit to having it in the client (and
its less work this way).

Kind regards,

Colin

On 28 Feb 2005 00:37:27 -0800, colin.steadman@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm building a server out of an old PC and have just ordered a sempron
> 2200 bundle build it.

SP2200+ is of .13-process, which is at least 1.8Ghz-strong.
With ddr400 ram modules, overclock its original 1.5Ghz to 1.8Ghz.
Don't waste it.