Send wifi 150 yards with near line of sight

Aug 23, 2018
I need to send wifi from one house to another. Distance is about 120 yards (let's say 150 to be safe). I almost have line of sight but there is one house in the way. One solution would be to use poles to elevate my Access Points or whatever they're called (sorry, I only know as much tech as I have to). My questions:

Are there any solutions that wouldn't require poles? Something that I could set up in a second story window of each house even though I don't have line of sight?

If I have to use poles, how exactly does that work? I guess I would purchase outdoor equipment and mount it to a pole on the top of each roof?

Obviously, the less money I spend the better, but I don't mind spending a little to make sure this is done right. I currently have 150mbps but plan to soon upgrade to 400mpbs. I don't need all of that to reach the second location - just enough to work a couple wifi security cameras and maybe one other device like a laptop. My current router, supplied by the ISP, has 2.4 and 5.0 ghz, 802.11 AC but I'll probably have to buy another one anyway as the one they give me doesn't have an external antenna connection (unless I somehow don't need that).

Solution
You need the clear line of sight because the signal is actually absorbed by the objects so not enough signal gets to the far end. In addition when you are talking about another house there might be wifi in that house. That signal will corrupt your signal as it passes through.

I would look at ubiquiti for outdoor bridge equipment. They have their fancy stuff on their main page but they still sell the inexpensive nano station stuff.

The end devices are pretty simple they get power and data over a single ethernet cable and all you do is point them at each other. Most have signal level meters that help you get optimum alignment.

The hard part is the mounting. It is nothing really special any antenna mount even for tv antennas...
You need the clear line of sight because the signal is actually absorbed by the objects so not enough signal gets to the far end. In addition when you are talking about another house there might be wifi in that house. That signal will corrupt your signal as it passes through.

I would look at ubiquiti for outdoor bridge equipment. They have their fancy stuff on their main page but they still sell the inexpensive nano station stuff.

The end devices are pretty simple they get power and data over a single ethernet cable and all you do is point them at each other. Most have signal level meters that help you get optimum alignment.

The hard part is the mounting. It is nothing really special any antenna mount even for tv antennas work. It depends on the details of your house and how high you really need to go. Many times if you have a chimney a short pole connected to that is all that is needed.

If you were going more distance there are more concerns like reflection of signal from the ground but those are when you are talking about going miles. The distance you have as long as the units can see each other it will work

Solution