Jun 24, 2018
Currently the following setup. Home build

AMD Ryzen 1700
Gefore GTX 1060 (6gb edition)
8 GB DDR4 memory
Samsung 250 gb SSD
Corsair 600 watt PSU
Samsung 22inch 4k Monitor

At present the machine is not too bad and was going to wait another year before upgrading. However I got a new game the other day Cricket 19 which defaulted to 4k with mostly high settings and I was pleasantly suprised that the card managed 40fps and looked awesome. I dropeed the re playing around and their was a notable drop in the quality so back to 4k. However most other games I have tried in 4k cannot cope and i get around 30fps max, usually less. The game is superb btw and loading times and grpahics quality are exceptional considering my PC is fairly modest in gaming terms.

Anyway I have sort of got the 4k bug and have a little spare cash so thinking of pimping up my GPU and obviously there are endless options but I dont want to be spending ridiculous money. Also a concern is buying a GPU to which the Ryzen becomes a bottleneck and I dont want upgrade both. The gtb 1080 seems a reasonable upgrade but from what I have read it wont handle 4k overly well. The 1080ti and above will handle 4k but the price is a little off putting. I was looking at spending about £250 ($300USD) maximum. Maybe a fraction more as i could get a bit for the 1060 but theres no point in putting a beast of a GPU in there, correct me if I am wrong.

If you were in my situation what cards would you be looking at? Or should I just sit tight and settle for FHD/2k for another 12 months then reassess? Unless I have missed some the 1080ti has not really come down in price a great deal despite so many other high end cards joining the market.

Thanks in advance folks

Currently the following setup. Home build

AMD Ryzen 1700
Gefore GTX 1060 (6gb edition)
8 GB DDR4 memory
Samsung 250 gb SSD
Corsair 600 watt PSU
Samsung 22inch 4k Monitor

At present the machine is not too bad and was going to wait another year before upgrading. However I got a new game the other day Cricket 19 which defaulted to 4k with mostly high settings and I was pleasantly suprised that the card managed 40fps and looked awesome. I dropeed the re playing around and their was a notable drop in the quality so back to 4k. However most other games I have tried in 4k cannot cope and i get around 30fps max, usually less. The game is superb btw and loading times and grpahics quality are exceptional considering my PC is fairly modest in gaming terms.

Anyway I have sort of got the 4k bug and have a little spare cash so thinking of pimping up my GPU and obviously there are endless options but I dont want to be spending ridiculous money. Also a concern is buying a GPU to which the Ryzen becomes a bottleneck and I dont want upgrade both. The gtb 1080 seems a reasonable upgrade but from what I have read it wont handle 4k overly well. The 1080ti and above will handle 4k but the price is a little off putting. I was looking at spending about £250 ($300USD) maximum. Maybe a fraction more as i could get a bit for the 1060 but theres no point in putting a beast of a GPU in there, correct me if I am wrong.

If you were in my situation what cards would you be looking at? Or should I just sit tight and settle for FHD/2k for another 12 months then reassess? Unless I have missed some the 1080ti has not really come down in price a great deal despite so many other high end cards joining the market.

Thanks in advance folks
£250 you’re looking at used 1080s, new Vega 56 territory. Might be able to do 4K on lower demand titles and with reduced settings

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Thanks. I could probably stretch the budget. Dont think a 1080 would blow me away. I guess one part of my question is whether the Ryzen 1700 would cope okay if I could get a used 1080ti for example. I know its not a crap CPU by any means but I imagine the 1080ti as an example would be good in 4k for 18 months or more. Dont want to have to add a new CPU into the mix or then Id be thinking of selling the machine and buying a new one! I think though having just moved into a new house an spending a lot on depcrating, new kitchen etc that my proposal to buy a fancy new PC would not go down well with her indoors!