Question Sensitive Windows 10

Dec 15, 2022
I have been using computers since XP. Not as long as many people, but a few years. I find 10 to be very "sensitive" to most anything it deems as an inappropriate action. The result - BSOD's.

The explanation for these annoyances (BSOD's) are mysterious. I am not a demanding pc user. I surf, I email, I play a game. Yet, even after the installation of a new hard drive a few weeks ago. I continue to get these BS's. When I look online for solutions, sometimes the description of what may be causing the situation is "faulty hard drive" -- (it's brand new!) there are other reasons but I'm sure many of you have seen them.

I do some of the recommended "fixes" sfc/scannow, and ckdsk -- nothing shows up as a problem so I figure I'm ok but who knows? I really don't want to reinstall the OS and I don't think I need to but who knows?

After losing my system and after installing the new hard drive (mentioned above), I was able to recreate it using Macrium - a godsend for sure. And I never really knew for sure what caused the wipeout of the hard drive. It was just gone.

XP or Windows 7 never gave me so many annoyances - but unfortunately they are gone.

Does anyone have similar feelings about this OS or am I just too inexperienced to even be using a pc, in the days of win10.

USAFRet

Titan
I find 10 to be very "sensitive" to most anything it deems as an inappropriate action. The result - BSOD's.
Counterpoint - None of my Win 10 or Win 11 boxes have this issue.

If I see one BSOD a year, that is too much. Seriously.

And this is having Win 10 installed on one or another system, eventually all of them, since Day 1 of the original TechPreview in 2015.
Win 11 since Nov 2021.

Looking online for a 'solution' is often a poor pathway.
You need to talk to someone, even if only in a Forum like this, where we can get to the meat of the problem.
Google results would just say "do this, do that", with no real clue of your specific issue.

Reactions: falcon291

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I always keep my Windows version up-to-date. So, it is now Windows 11.

Your computer has an issue, hardware or software. When you face a BSOD, you need to find and fix it. If it is once a year it is acceptable, but when you face one, if you do not fix it, you will have another one sooner than later.

It is really not OS related. Don't blame Windows 11. Operating systems in general do not cause BSODs, but hardware malfunction or wrong drivers cause them.

Dec 15, 2022
Thank you for all of your thoughts. I guess my bottom line in all of this is that I did not have issues like this on Seven or XP. It is constant so therefore I see 10 as too "sensitive" -- since the OS is the engine so to speak, I see it as the cause. Sorry. I guess I will head over to Dell and see if there are any drivers that need updating. I run Support Assist and no driver updates were listed. Maybe I need to go directly to the mfgr. Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for all of your thoughts. I guess my bottom line in all of this is that I did not have issues like this on Seven or XP. It is constant so therefore I see 10 as too "sensitive" -- since the OS is the engine so to speak, I see it as the cause. Sorry. I guess I will head over to Dell and see if there are any drivers that need updating. I run Support Assist and no driver updates were listed. Maybe I need to go directly to the mfgr. Thanks again.
For your overall issue, I would suspect something other than the base Win 10.
Drivers or hardware.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
to the OP

I have three pc active at home. All with Windows 10, the oldest is a core 2 Quad, and the newest is a 10600k pc. All three had a new SSD installation at some point the past 2 or 3 years. Have not experienced the frequent BSOD that you are describing. These days, I have the habit of always keeping Windows Updates always active.

try updating your Windows drivers. Could help solve your problem.

DavidM012

Distinguished
I don't get the windoze 7 holdouts I think they're like preppers. At the time windows 10 had better hardware compatibility and necessary security updates. Internet Explorer also died. Give it enough time and there will soon be enough malware around to insta plague a fresh install if you simply connect it to the internet before you can install updates - that's how it was in the 9x days.

Your bsods are likely just some hardware problem could be memory related or driver related.

Have to list your full system specs as precisely as possible with make and model numbers where applicable.

Cpu:
Cooler:
Mobo:
Mem: Part. no make & model

Drives: Could be hdd, or sata 3 2.5inch ssd or m.2 sata or m.2 nvme

Gpu:
Power supply: Age, make & exact model & capacity

Case:
Fans:

In warranty/out of warranty?

Only bsods I got on windows 10 was when I was overclocking with not enough vCore (cpu power) which is something I did and could change easily, or when I reseated my dimms after some years I was thinking o pu meh dimms have gone but cleaning the dimm contacts with acetone and carefully cleaning the sockets cleared up the problem.

I had a couple of problems with malware when I was researching ways to unpack a steam archive without a steam client and downloaded a duff app which was awful basically you can't so it was wrong so I just decided to do another clean install.

Also at one stage Edge stopped working for me after some years and no fixes or kb articles would fix it and then I just updated the firmware of one of my samsung drives and windows bootloader broke even though it wasn't the c drive hosting the os,

so I did a clean install then and updated to 21h2 and 22h2 because the media creation tool wasn't working either because it was all the wrong versions probably so I had to download the iso from an external source and use rufus to make a setup usb.

That was all pretty much standard windows fare though since struggling with versions of things has always been windows since 9x anyway. 95c just about supported usb 2.0 but only 98se really implemented it reliably.

Well how much experience can you get of windows? You don't have to install it every day on 20 machines on your workbench and these days the network install probably works great for oems or else you just get a fast usb 3.0 or 3.1 or 3.2 external drive which may be a usb flash drive (not too many fast ones of those) or usb ssd and I use a 150mb/s lexar 1000x micro sd with a usb 3 caddy for windows 10 setup rather than a 5mb/s usb flash drive from tesco. The progress bar zips along a bit faster that way. Cheaper than an SSD and faster than usb 2.0 flash drives. Totally the goldilocks zone for people who only need to occasionally setup windows.

You don't have to really get under the skin of it rarely have to salvage data from a user profile or mess around with networking very often. Basically home users don't use 10% of the features like remote access that the office industry does.

You need to know where to type your router wifi password.

Honestly there was a time when customers were buying things from a firm I worked for and didn't know what they were. What's winfax? What's a Zip drive? I was handed an order that said, install winfax, install a zip drive and when I spoke to the customer he didn't know what they were. So Experience you're only going to learn what you need to use anyway as a general rule.

You are getting a bsod you want to fix it so now you have to learn something about hardware since it could be Memory related or it could be CPU related so you might want to learn something about stress testing a CPU so you need a good cooler and a good reliable power supply and it's a good strategy to select such things before you purchase anything so you don't have to correct 'bought in ignorance errors' and buy things twice.

Is the science that blinding? Just read reviews of any product you plan to buy before you buy it. Could be a lot of reviews and work but forewarned is forearmed and can save you money. Same is true of motor cars or curtains. You just need to know what fixtures go with what fittings and if the manufacturer is any good or if the dealer is reliable.

Can someone go 'abracadabra' and just fix it well in my universe causality exists and effect follows cause. You have to learn to drive but you don't need a PC license before you buy one - maybe they should!

Go on a course to get the basics down anyway. Not everyone's going to do advanced pursuit and tactical evasion driving courses whilst training as a bodyguard.

No I think I read PC Mags and learned what was a PCI slot and what was an ISA slot from board diagrams and AGP was new when I was building pcs when 3dfx voodoo was the thing to have - the very last 3dfx voodoo gfx card with 4 on board gpus was auctioned on ebay for about $5000 dollars and yet now you can just get a Glide wrapper to emulate 3dfx anyway. And all you had to do was set your sound card to irq 5 or 7 in ms-dos.

Collectors of vintage hardware that can cease to work and can't be reconditioned - bonkers. $5000 would still buy you a beyond the hi end consumer pc these days.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022
I went to the Dell site for my 5570. I then went to the updates page and the following items showed up as needing updating. I honestly do not understand the breadth of this list. I go to Support Assist frequently and these items are not listed. If they were I would update. Would like to post the image I snipped but it would appear I need http// - don't get that. I can't just drag and drop the image?

USAFRet

Titan
I went to the Dell site for my 5570. I then went to the updates page and the following items showed up as needing updating. I honestly do not understand the breadth of this list. I go to Support Assist frequently and these items are not listed. If they were I would update. Would like to post the image I snipped but it would appear I need http// - don't get that. I can't just drag and drop the image?
Upload your pic to imgur.com, post the link here.

Dec 15, 2022
Well thanks. I don't know what that site is and there's just so much crap going on with what used to be a nice place to visit. What is to be trusted anymore? I'll find another way to list the 8 or so items Dell called critical.

Dec 15, 2022
BIOS
Dell Update Application
Qualcom QCA61x4A/QCA9377 WI-FI and Bluetooth Driver
Intel UHD graphics driver
Intel Serial IO Driver
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

These are the critical updates for the 5570 that I saw on the Dell site. Looks like a few drivers. Will go to admin now and download them and hope they are the cure. I'll be back.:)

Dec 15, 2022
Soooo. I logged onto admin and went to Dell site to get all those juicy driver updates. Gee, funny thing - not one listed. Only ones from my list on the Dell site was the BIOS and the Dell Update Application. I'll revisit. Just thought I'd let ya know. DL.d the Update and installed. Thanks. Ah, the wonder of it all.

Dec 15, 2022
I ran a hardware check and all pieces passed. CPU, fan, memory, storage - the whole bunch. So it is either software or configuration Dell menu says. I will settle with the download I did and see if I get any more BSOD's.

TRENDING THREADS