MS MVP Shell/User

"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:upYRu0ImFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Why do I three Sent Items.DBX files?
> Sol

"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:upYRu0ImFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Why do I three Sent Items.DBX files?

1. What is your / Tools / Options / Maintenance setting
for Store Folder ?
2. Compare dates of your three DBX files. If you find
they have different dates you can probably delete the
two older ones.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

No in three folders.
Sol
> In the same folder?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Why do I three Sent Items.DBX files?
> > Sol

That would indicate that you have three different Identities, unless one
or more of the folders are relics from past installations, backups, or
whatever. Each Identity folder has an "Outlook Express" sub-folder
containing the DBX files that pertain to that Identity. (This assumes
you haven't moved the storage folder.)

Personally, I'd leave them alone, unless you are concerned about
privacy. They aren't hurting anything. In Outlook Express>File
menu>Identities>Manage Identities, how many do you show?

--

> No in three folders.
> Sol
>> In the same folder?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Why do I three Sent Items.DBX files?
>> > Sol

Just one. shows in Manage Identities. I have problems sending mail I get an
error message many times, and have to go to outbox and click send now. I get
the following message "An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port:
0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0131"
Sol

> Just one. shows in Manage Identities. I have problems sending mail I get
an
> error message many times, and have to go to outbox and click send now. I
get
> the following message "An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP,
Port:
> 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0131"

You appear to have a damaged FOLDERS.DBX file.

Close Outlook Express

Click Start, highlight the Find option,
then select Files or Folders.
Or hold down a Windows key and press the F key

In the Named box, type FOLDERS.DBX

In the Look In box, choose the hard disk
on which FOLDERS.DBX resides
[this is usually drive C]
and then click Find Now.

Right-click the FOLDERS.DBX file and choose RENAME.

Type FOLDERS.OLD , and click OK.

Start Outlook Express again.

A new FOLDERS.DBX file will be generated.
Probably a MUCH smaller one, which is good.

When you are satisfied, you can delete FOLDERS.OLD

Thank you very much. Now after I do it how can I get back all the messages
from the .old files?
Sol

> Thank you very much. Now after I do it how can I get back all the messages
> from the .old files?

What old files?

Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_frm/thread/855722a5cbcec465/b3730aa76ff21392?q=sent+items.dbx&rnum=1&hl=en#b3730aa76ff21392

Folders.old doesn't contain any messages.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you very much. Now after I do it how can I get back all the
>> messages
>> from the .old files?
>
> What old files?
>
> Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it solved the
error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the messages
in the renamed files how do I do it?

Solkeys wrote:
> I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it solved
> the error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the
> messages in the renamed files how do I do it?

...by similarly swapping that Sent Items.dbx file with the main one in your
current folder, then right-click choose to move the that message to your
Drafts folder, and after you put the wanted Sent Items.dbx file back just
move those messages from Draft back to Sent.. just be sure to keep your
original Sent Items.dbx file backup'd safely!

> Sol
> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you very much. Now after I do it how can I get back all the
>> > messages from the .old files?
>>
>> What old files?
>>
>> Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

Here's one thing to try:

Move the SENT.OLD file to a different folder (Desktop, whatever,
anywhere will do.) Rename it back to SENT.DBX

Use File>Import>Messages to import the messages from that SENT.DBX file.
You're importing from a Message Store, not an Identity, and you'll
navigate to that lone SENT.DBX file. Import it into a different folder
than default, one that you've created previously, named something like
"Sent_Archive".

For further hints, plus tools you can use to extract the messages into
TXT files directly from the DBX file, see www.insideoe.com and
http://www.oehelp.com

--

>I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it
>solved the
> error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the
> messages
> in the renamed files how do I do it?
> Sol
> "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you very much. Now after I do it how can I get back all the
> messages
>> > from the .old files?
>>
>> What old files?
>>
>> Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

Thank you. Now when I try to import I get a message that messages are not
found.
Solo
> Here's one thing to try:
>
> Move the SENT.OLD file to a different folder (Desktop, whatever,
> anywhere will do.) Rename it back to SENT.DBX
>
> Use File>Import>Messages to import the messages from that SENT.DBX file.
> You're importing from a Message Store, not an Identity, and you'll
> navigate to that lone SENT.DBX file. Import it into a different folder
> than default, one that you've created previously, named something like
> "Sent_Archive".
>
> For further hints, plus tools you can use to extract the messages into
> TXT files directly from the DBX file, see www.insideoe.com and
> http://www.oehelp.com
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it
> >solved the
> > error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the
> > messages
> > in the renamed files how do I do it?
> > Sol
> > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > messages
> >>
> >> What old files?
> >>
> >> Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

I get a message that it can not find the file.
Solomon
> Here's one thing to try:
>
> Move the SENT.OLD file to a different folder (Desktop, whatever,
> anywhere will do.) Rename it back to SENT.DBX
>
> Use File>Import>Messages to import the messages from that SENT.DBX file.
> You're importing from a Message Store, not an Identity, and you'll
> navigate to that lone SENT.DBX file. Import it into a different folder
> than default, one that you've created previously, named something like
> "Sent_Archive".
>
> For further hints, plus tools you can use to extract the messages into
> TXT files directly from the DBX file, see www.insideoe.com and
> http://www.oehelp.com
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it
> >solved the
> > error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the
> > messages
> > in the renamed files how do I do it?
> > Sol
> > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > messages
> >>
> >> What old files?
> >>
> >> Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

I moved the file to a folder I created. When I start the import process the
first the first question asked is Select an e mail program to import from.
but as you instructed the file is not in an email program.
Sol
> Here's one thing to try:
>
> Move the SENT.OLD file to a different folder (Desktop, whatever,
> anywhere will do.) Rename it back to SENT.DBX
>
> Use File>Import>Messages to import the messages from that SENT.DBX file.
> You're importing from a Message Store, not an Identity, and you'll
> navigate to that lone SENT.DBX file. Import it into a different folder
> than default, one that you've created previously, named something like
> "Sent_Archive".
>
> For further hints, plus tools you can use to extract the messages into
> TXT files directly from the DBX file, see www.insideoe.com and
> http://www.oehelp.com
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it
> >solved the
> > error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the
> > messages
> > in the renamed files how do I do it?
> > Sol
> > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > messages
> >>
> >> What old files?
> >>
> >> Explain in detail exactly what you want to do.

He must of fallen into an earthquake, Solkeys, & his Poodles have not
yet tugged him out by a toe. I'm sure the question is asking what
program created the .dbx, & that would be IE6, judging by your
Properties...

Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| I moved the file to a folder I created. When I start the import
process the
| first the first question asked is Select an e mail program to import
from.
| but as you instructed the file is not in an email program.
| Sol
| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Here's one thing to try:
| >
| > Move the SENT.OLD file to a different folder (Desktop, whatever,
| > anywhere will do.) Rename it back to SENT.DBX
| >
| > Use File>Import>Messages to import the messages from that SENT.DBX
file.
| > You're importing from a Message Store, not an Identity, and you'll
| > navigate to that lone SENT.DBX file. Import it into a different
folder
| > than default, one that you've created previously, named something
like
| > "Sent_Archive".
| >
| > For further hints, plus tools you can use to extract the messages
into
| > TXT files directly from the DBX file, see www.insideoe.com and
| > http://www.oehelp.com
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS MVP Shell/User
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| >
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > >I renamed the three Sent Items.dbx files to Sent Items.old and it
| > >solved the
| > > error problem but my question is if I want to retrieve some of the
| > > messages
| > > in the renamed files how do I do it?
| > > Sol
| > > "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

| > > messages

O.K. Now after entering the location of the file I get the following message
"No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running
that has the required file open. Please select another folder or try closing
applications that may have it open"
Sol
> He must of fallen into an earthquake, Solkeys, & his Poodles have not
> yet tugged him out by a toe. I'm sure the question is asking what
> program created the .dbx, & that would be IE6, judging by your
> Properties...
>
> Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | I moved the file to a folder I created. When I start the import
> process the
> | first the first question asked is Select an e mail program to import
> from.
> | but as you instructed the file is not in an email program.
> | Sol
> | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> | > Here's one thing to try:
> | >
> | > Move the SENT.OLD file to a different folder (Desktop, whatever,
> | > anywhere will do.) Rename it back to SENT.DBX
> | >
> | > Use File>Import>Messages to import the messages from that SENT.DBX
> file.
> | > You're importing from a Message Store, not an Identity, and you'll
> | > navigate to that lone SENT.DBX file. Import it into a different
> folder
> | > than default, one that you've created previously, named something
> like
> | > "Sent_Archive".
> | >
> | > For further hints, plus tools you can use to extract the messages
> into
> | > TXT files directly from the DBX file, see www.insideoe.com and
> | > http://www.oehelp.com
> | >
> | > --
> | > Gary S. Terhune
> | > MS MVP Shell/User
> | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> | >
> | > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> the

I can find nothing about that error message at the MSKB or in OE Help.
Did you scour those URLs Terhune posted or the NGs Bear did? HOWEVER, I
do see that message will show up when I point OE to a folder that has no
..dbx file. So...

"START, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
DIR /a /on Full\Path\To\That\Folder

Like...
C:\>DIR /a /on "G:\Outlook Express Store"
Directory of G:\Outlook Express Store
DELETE~1 DBX 256,724 08-10-05 7:36p Deleted Items.dbx
DRAFTS DBX 139,376 07-26-05 7:31a Drafts.dbx
FOLDERS DBX 399,012 08-10-05 5:29p Folders.dbx
INBOX DBX 191,188 08-10-05 7:36p Inbox.dbx
....snip
20 file(s) 188,106,208 bytes

Of course, that one does have them.

--
| O.K. Now after entering the location of the file I get the following
message
| "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is
running
| that has the required file open. Please select another folder or try
closing
| applications that may have it open"
| Sol
| > He must of fallen into an earthquake, Solkeys, & his Poodles have
not
| > yet tugged him out by a toe. I'm sure the question is asking what
| > program created the .dbx, & that would be IE6, judging by your
| > Properties...
| >
| > Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | I moved the file to a folder I created. When I start the import
| > process the
| > | first the first question asked is Select an e mail program to
import
| > from.
| > | but as you instructed the file is not in an email program.
| > | Sol
| > | "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

SENT.DBX
| > file.
| > folder
| > like

| > into

| > the

| > |
| > |

I was wondering maybe the problem is when I am asked Import From I chose
Import mail from a OE6 store directory. Is it possible that I don't have it
now in a store directory,and what means a store directory?
Sol
> I can find nothing about that error message at the MSKB or in OE Help.
> Did you scour those URLs Terhune posted or the NGs Bear did? HOWEVER, I
> do see that message will show up when I point OE to a folder that has no
> .dbx file. So...
>
> "START, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
> DIR /a /on Full\Path\To\That\Folder
>
> Like...
> C:\>DIR /a /on "G:\Outlook Express Store"
> Directory of G:\Outlook Express Store
> DELETE~1 DBX 256,724 08-10-05 7:36p Deleted Items.dbx
> DRAFTS DBX 139,376 07-26-05 7:31a Drafts.dbx
> FOLDERS DBX 399,012 08-10-05 5:29p Folders.dbx
> INBOX DBX 191,188 08-10-05 7:36p Inbox.dbx
> ...snip
> 20 file(s) 188,106,208 bytes
>
> Of course, that one does have them.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | O.K. Now after entering the location of the file I get the following
> message
> | "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is
> running
> | that has the required file open. Please select another folder or try
> closing
> | applications that may have it open"
> | Sol
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > He must of fallen into an earthquake, Solkeys, & his Poodles have
> not
> | > yet tugged him out by a toe. I'm sure the question is asking what
> | > program created the .dbx, & that would be IE6, judging by your
> | > Properties...
> | >
> | > Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | > process the
> import
> | > from.

> SENT.DBX
> | > file.
> you'll
> | > folder
> something
> | > like

> messages
> | > into

> it
> the

> all
> | > the

> | > |
> | > |

Well, by trial & error, I discover you need a Folders.dbx in the folder
too. I moved Keepers.dbx into C:\Windows\Temp, & it wouldn't import,
until I also moved it's Folders.dbx into there too. Then, it worked
fine.

--
| I was wondering maybe the problem is when I am asked Import From I
chose
| Import mail from a OE6 store directory. Is it possible that I don't
have it
| now in a store directory,and what means a store directory?
| Sol
| > I can find nothing about that error message at the MSKB or in OE
Help.
| > Did you scour those URLs Terhune posted or the NGs Bear did?
HOWEVER, I
| > do see that message will show up when I point OE to a folder that
has no
| > .dbx file. So...
| >
| > "START, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
| > DIR /a /on Full\Path\To\That\Folder
| >
| > Like...
| > C:\>DIR /a /on "G:\Outlook Express Store"
| > Directory of G:\Outlook Express Store
| > DELETE~1 DBX 256,724 08-10-05 7:36p Deleted Items.dbx
| > DRAFTS DBX 139,376 07-26-05 7:31a Drafts.dbx
| > FOLDERS DBX 399,012 08-10-05 5:29p Folders.dbx
| > INBOX DBX 191,188 08-10-05 7:36p Inbox.dbx
| > ...snip
| > 20 file(s) 188,106,208 bytes
| >
| > Of course, that one does have them.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | O.K. Now after entering the location of the file I get the
following
| > message
| > | "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is
| > running
| > | that has the required file open. Please select another folder or
try
| > closing
| > | applications that may have it open"
| > | Sol
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > not

| > import

| > SENT.DBX
| > you'll
| > something

| > messages

| > it
| > the

| > all

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Thank you. Now how can I create a .dbx folder? A file I understand how but
how do I do it with a folder?
Sol
> [...]
> | now in a store directory,and what means a store directory?
> | Sol
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > I can find nothing about that error message at the MSKB or in OE
> Help.
> | > Did you scour those URLs Terhune posted or the NGs Bear did?
> HOWEVER, I
> | > do see that message will show up when I point OE to a folder that
> has no
> | > .dbx file. So...
> | >
> | > "START, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
> | > DIR /a /on Full\Path\To\That\Folder
> | >
> | > Like...
> | > C:\>DIR /a /on "G:\Outlook Express Store"
> | > Directory of G:\Outlook Express Store
> | > DELETE~1 DBX 256,724 08-10-05 7:36p Deleted Items.dbx
> | > DRAFTS DBX 139,376 07-26-05 7:31a Drafts.dbx
> | > FOLDERS DBX 399,012 08-10-05 5:29p Folders.dbx
> | > INBOX DBX 191,188 08-10-05 7:36p Inbox.dbx

Where did you get the .dbx from? Wasn't there a Folders.dbx in there
too? That's the one to use. Otherwise, maybe that site will say...
www.insideoe.com

--
| Thank you. Now how can I create a .dbx folder? A file I understand how
but
| how do I do it with a folder?
| Sol
| > Well, by trial & error, I discover you need a Folders.dbx in the
folder
| > too. I moved Keepers.dbx into C:\Windows\Temp, & it wouldn't import,
| > until I also moved it's Folders.dbx into there too. Then, it worked
| > fine.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | I was wondering maybe the problem is when I am asked Import From I
| > chose
| > | Import mail from a OE6 store directory. Is it possible that I
don't
| > have it
| > | now in a store directory,and what means a store directory?
| > | Sol
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > Help.
| > HOWEVER, I
| > has no

| > following
| > try
| > have
| > what

| > import

| > whatever,

| > different

www.insideoe.com
| > and

Items.old
| > and
| > some of

| > back

| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

I had problems with the sent items folders, so I was advised to rename it to
Sent Items.old, but now I am trying to open it.
Solomon
> Where did you get the .dbx from? Wasn't there a Folders.dbx in there
> too? That's the one to use. Otherwise, maybe that site will say...
> www.insideoe.com
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Thank you. Now how can I create a .dbx folder? A file I understand how
> but
> | how do I do it with a folder?
> | Sol
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > Well, by trial & error, I discover you need a Folders.dbx in the
> folder
> | > too. I moved Keepers.dbx into C:\Windows\Temp, & it wouldn't import,
> | > until I also moved it's Folders.dbx into there too. Then, it worked
> | > fine.
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | > chose
> don't
> | > have it
> | > Help.
> | > HOWEVER, I
> that
> | > has no

> | > following
> application is
> or
> | > try
> | > have
> | > what
> your

> | > import

> | > whatever,

> that
> and
> | > different

> www.insideoe.com
> | > and

> Items.old
> | > and
> | > some of

> get
> | > back

> | > | > | > |
> | > | > | > |

> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

You can't Import it, until you...

(a) Put it into a folder
(b) Rename it back to "Sent Items.dbx"
(c) Put it's original Folders.dbx into the same folder.

....as far as I know. Otherwise, go scour that site or the other NGs.
Perhaps you can fudge a Folders.dbx. I just don't know.

--
| I had problems with the sent items folders, so I was advised to rename
it to
| Sent Items.old, but now I am trying to open it.
| Solomon
| > Where did you get the .dbx from? Wasn't there a Folders.dbx in there
| > too? That's the one to use. Otherwise, maybe that site will say...
| > www.insideoe.com
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Thank you. Now how can I create a .dbx folder? A file I understand
how
| > but
| > | how do I do it with a folder?
| > | Sol