[SOLVED] SSD on m.2_1 not showing up on Asus ROG strix Z790-E ?

Mar 25, 2023
So I transferred over two M.2 SSDs over to my new build. I have my OS on a 240GB and a 2TB game drive. I had it the exact same setup for years on my MSI board, but the Asus board will not recognize my game drive.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023
On my initial start up it popped up and told me to set up raid, that if I didn't want to that I could continue. I continued, but my drive didn't show up in windows. So I went back into bios and haven't been able to find my second drive.

Mar 25, 2023
Ok, so I've been reading and found out few things that I was wrong about previously. Both my drives are not sata, and the only slot that supports sata is m.2_5. My os drive I accidentally put it m.2_3 , not m.2_2 so the os is on chipset by accident but that does mean that it's the cpu m.2_1 slot that's not recognized. I've updated bios, reset the drive. I'm taking a break but I'll I'll fresh install windows

Mar 25, 2023
I went back, had been years since I bought the drives. They were both nvme but, under details the 240 was interface ssd and connectivity sata, but is recognized in m.2_3 which can't be SATA because only m.2_5 reads sata. The 2tb interface nvme and connectivity sata, but the box stated pcie, I don't get it, but that could be the reason I hope. The way I did my build don't have easy access to switch over. I bought a newer drive that details state, interface nvme connectivity pcie, hopefully that will work. I did a drive wipe reinstall of windows still nothing, also had already updated all drivers,

Mar 25, 2023
See that's what I thought, the description on Amazon is wrong. I'm usually good about my research before purchasing. So then that begs the question why is my cpu m.2_1 not recognizing, I'm still hoping it's that drive, tomorrow I'll switch them and see. If the new drive doesn't work am lost, I have a lot of time in this build would suck if cpu or board is bad. How would I be able to know?

Mar 25, 2023
So the drive came in and switched them , problem solved, immediately showed up in bios. Don't know how but other must have had damaged during swap over. Appreciate the people that took the time to read and respond.