[SOLVED] Separating OS, applications and files? (SSD+SSD+HDD)

May 14, 2021
Hi! I saw the many topics about that, but I also understood the answer depends on specific use cases, and therefore... I though I could throw mine in to see if the answers still stick.

Taking into account the information mentionned below, would there be any benefit to split OS, apps and files on two SSDs and one HDD?

The current set up:
C: Samsung 500 GB SSD (Evo plus 970) M.2 (slot #2)
D: Samsung 2 TB SSD (Evo plus 970) M.2 (slot #1)
E: WD 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM

How do I use my computer?
  • I play games a bit (some old and some recent titles, but usually not the most resources intensive ones).
  • I stream educational content (not games) over to various plateforms (and sometimes require to BOTH stream AND record at the same time on my computer), while having to manage slideshows/various open web tabs and other documents.
  • I record educational videos on a semi-regular basis (hence the larger HDD for some storage)
I think I have two choices mainly:
Set up #1)
I was thinking going for OS on the 500 GB as drive C, all apps and games that don't require to be on drive C to be on drive D (such as Steam games, and quite a few other apps), and docs/vids/photos to be on drive E.
Set up #2) Swapping C for D, so putting OS AND apps/programs on the larger SSD, and simply leaving alone the smaller SSD, or only using it to send the video-file AS I'm recording, but ultimately storing them on drive E.

Which would you suggest?

(Correct me if I'm wrong with the following assumptions)

In favor of Set up #1) (OS on the 500GB drive C, other apps on 2TB drive D)
  • Both SSDs would be far from full, hence it would optimize their speed?
  • Less read/write per SSD, hence longer lifespawn? (Altho I suspect not that much of a huge difference?)
  • Cloning drive C for a backup would be faster/easier given it would be lighter?
In favor of Set up #2) (OS and apps on the 2TB, as drive C)
  • Convinence: I like the idea to have OS + apps/programs on a single larger drive (2TB) so that all settings and programs are saved in one location, instead of having apps and their setting split in two (especially since some programs installed in D still send files over to C, and I'd rather not play with AppData symbolic link).
  • Does it make sense to record videos onto and empty drive D (500GB) while I stream rather than onto drive E? Would it actually be faster?
  • Editing video on the 500GB as drive D would be faster, right?
(Anything else should be considered?)

Side story:
I'm just about to move from my current 128GB drive C + 1TB HDD computer to this new rig... and I had programs installed on both the 128GB and 1TB, and it's annoying to recover settings... as they're split and hidden in different locations. C's programs are on C, D's apps are on D, and sometimes C, and sometimes both.
The 128GB is at 99% full, which is a really dangerous situation, and I don't want that to happen on the new computer.
I'd like to start this new computer the right way... and I'm nervous for bad set up that would require to fully reinstall everything.
I tend to have very little time to tinker with my computer settings given my two young children, and heavy workload at the job, leading me to be willing to have a simple set up that leaves little room for mistakes, and easier restoration settings if something goes wrong.)

THANKS!

Solution
If OS + all apps (not including games) fit on 500GB SSD, then
OS + Apps on 500GB SSD
GAMES on 2TB SSD
User media, setups, backups on HDD.

IF OS + Apps do not fit on 500GB SSD, then
OS + Apps + Games on 2TB SSD,
rest on HDD.
May 14, 2021
If OS + all apps (not including games) fit on 500GB SSD, then
OS + Apps on 500GB SSD
GAMES on 2TB SSD
User media, setups, backups on HDD.

IF OS + Apps do not fit on 500GB SSD, then
OS + Apps + Games on 2TB SSD,
rest on HDD.
Talking to SkyNet is a bit scary, altho what's best than top AI to solve your computer issue? ;-D
Thanks for your very efficient and concise response! Can I ask why you'd prefer that first option if space allows?

USAFRet

Titan
Talking to SkyNet is a bit scary, altho what's best than top AI to solve your computer issue? ;-D
Thanks for your very efficient and concise response! Can I ask why you'd prefer that first option if space allows?
I agree with SNR.

OS and applications on one drive, 500GB.
Games can go on the other SSD.

If OS and applications do NOT fit on the 500...then on the 2TB along with the games.

OS and applications need to go together, on one drive.
Games don't really care which SSD they are on. Performance is not that different.

May 14, 2021
I agree with SNR.

OS and applications on one drive, 500GB.
Games can go on the other SSD.

If OS and applications do NOT fit on the 500...then on the 2TB along with the games.

OS and applications need to go together, on one drive.
Games don't really care which SSD they are on. Performance is not that different.

Okay perfect, got it! Then, something like OBS isn't a windows' store app, per say, but it would go with the OS too, is that right? Same would go for Slack, Discord, Zoom, etc. all with the OS, am I getting this right?

And when recording while streaming, would it be better to send the recording directly onto the 6 TB HDD, or there is value to send it on the 2TB until edits are done or given both drives specs it would not make much of a difference?

Thanks to you both!

USAFRet

Titan
Okay perfect, got it! Then, something like OBS isn't a windows' store app, per say, but it would go with the OS too, is that right? Same would go for Slack, Discord, Zoom, etc. all with the OS, am I getting this right?

And when recording while streaming, would it be better to send the recording directly onto the 6 TB HDD, or there is value to send it on the 2TB until edits are done or given both drives specs it would not make much of a difference?

Thanks to you both!
ALL applications, not just those from 'the store'.

As for recording? Try it both ways. You have the hardware.
If the performance is unacceptable going to the HDD, then to either of the SSD's.
If no difference, then just record to the HDD.

May 14, 2021
All right! Prefect captain! =) Thank you so much!

It's funny, in the past, I often read your comments on other issues people had to find solutions to my problems. It's semi-surreal to have you answer me right away. =D Yet I'm a grown up with kids and not typiclly a fanboy.