[SOLVED] Seperating SSD/HDD - Everyday Use

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I'm basically new to the SSD world, super late I know but it's also my first time using multiple storage devices, I would used to do everything on a single HDD.

My question today is how I can make sure my files end up on my HDD and not SSD as its only 128 gigs intended only for my OS and chrome (since apparently it won't give you a choice).

For example if I download a picture or a file or if I put stuff on the desktop. How can I ensure it will be put on the HDD and not the SSD?

Thank you :)

Solution
You can save your personal files to anywhere you want. Make a couple of folders on the HDD for MyDocs/MyPics/etc.
Call them whatever you want.
Applications have gotten really good at working with multiple drives.

The next time you use that same application, it will probably use that location as the suggested place to save.

You CAN relocate the actual Libraries, but that can turn out really badly if you do it wrong.
Just save where you wish.

Browsers: You can change the default Save location in the browser settings.

Desktop: Create a folder on the HDD for MyDesktopStuff.
Make a shortcut pointer to that folder, and put it on the actual desktop.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
If you're using more recent Windows 10, then TRIM is enabled (and working) by default. You can get some info here.
TRIM doesn't delete anything on SSD (no "cleanup" or similar).
TRIM is a command for SSD (sent by Windows) for "optimizing" storage space inside SSD (simplified explanation). This command is usually sent every two weeks or once per month. Depending on PC usage, user can change that interval in scheduler -in most cases, once per month is enough.
What does "optimizing" storage space means? Without TRIM, SSD would become slower over the time (on saving data)... let's say after a year of usage -but depends on how much data was written/deleted during that time.
The TRIM command is sent at least once per hour, this is evidenced in multiple tests by multiple review sites.

The Defragment built into W10 automatically runs ever 2 weeks, they are quite different.

Either way, none of this matters to the OP as their SSD won't be getting a lot of use and it is automatic.

As for getting rid of temp files, you can do so within your web browser, be careful if you use autofil and have usernames and passwords remembered, there are options for each.

For Windows Temp files, there is a built in clean up option (again with options), that you can run manually, but is also triggered and notifies you if you go below a certain amount of free disk space.

As you are tweaking options, it is also a good idea to remove the virtual memory (page file), reboot the computer and re-enable it but with the same fixed minimum and maximum values. How much depends on the amount of RAM you have and what you do with your PC, if you have 8GB+ of RAM and are a light user, set it to 4048 or 8096 for both mum and max, there work out as exactly 4GB and 8GB. It helps performance, does t wear the SSD as much and occupies a known set amount of your SSD.

The TRIM command is sent at least once per hour, this is evidenced in multiple tests by multiple review sites.
Would you care to give a trustful link please?

The Defragment built into W10 automatically runs ever 2 weeks, they are quite different.
Windows Optimizing tool defragment HHD's only, but for SSD's TRIM is executed instead -at least from what I have read and from my experience.
Other may correct me if I'm wrong.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020

Windows Optimizing tool defragment HHD's only, but for SSD's TRIM is executed instead -at least from what I have read and from my experience.
Here is an explainer, seems that we were both wrong, I was thinking of BGC (background garbage collection on old SSD's).

As you see, the TRIM command is used every single time something on an SSD is deleted.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020

Hmm

I have one SSD that says that it is 0% fragmented, and the other two saying last trimmed 6-days ago (it runs weekly, I don't remember if I changed this from a default.

It may be that the SSD that says that it is 0% fragmented is because it is in RAID, although I thought that Microshaft had sorted out TRIM commands in RAID arrays, perhaps they have not.

As you see, the TRIM command is used every single time something on an SSD is deleted.
-this is very old article and I think things have changed since then.

Can't say for SSD's in RAID (because I don't use RAID). But in general, if Optimize schedule is set to every two weeks (for example), that doesn't mean TRIM will be executed every two weeks.. (Windows apparently knows if that's actually needed).
If I recall correctly, I've read somewhere, that TRIM-ing all the time isn't really good for SSD and is actually also not needed. And I'm 99.99% sure TRIM isn't executed after every file delete.
Talking about Windows.. there have been bugs, where TRIM wasn't executed at schedule (and it was needed to be done). That bug was present in Windows 19041.450 (for example) -in version 1904.508 this bug was corrected.

Again, I'm not an expert, so maybe you check elsewhere :)

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
-this is very old article and I think things have changed since then.

Yes it is an old article, after a quick search this is what I found. This would not have taken a retrograde step, especially with the advent of far faster SSD's than when this article was written.

But in general, if Optimize schedule is set to every two weeks (for example), that doesn't mean TRIM will be executed every two weeks.. (Windows apparently knows if that's actually needed).

Just because an article is "old" does not mean that it should be ignored.

If I recall correctly, I've read somewhere, that TRIM-ing all the time isn't really good for SSD and is actually also not needed.
That is defragmenting.

And I'm 99.99% sure TRIM isn't executed after every file delete.
Believe what you wish, I suggest reading the article.

Again, I'm not an expert, so maybe you check elsewhere :)
Believe what you wish, but now it is your turn to provide a trustful link to try and persuade me that the contents of my link is wrong.

now it is your turn to provide a trustful link to try and persuade me
I'm not here to convince anyone (my ego isn't that big).. is more about learning things of interest.. at the end, it's only a hobby :)

Yes, you were right on that, that after every delete TRIM command is sent. However, to my understanding, that doesn't necessary mean TRIM is actually executed every time... many times entire block cannot be deleted, because some of the pages in it, can contain data from another file (block can only become free if all pages can be erased) -in such case pages are only marked for deletion. The rest of process is called garbage collection which happens when PC is idle. And in the case idle time doesn't occur, it will happen for sure at schedule time.

There are many articles describing that.. but it happens quite often wrong terminology is used, which leads to further confusion. That's also the case in following article:
Crucial: What is TRIM
-which describes TRIM good enough for general audience... still, word "sector" is used for SSD (SSD doesn't have sectors).

And at the end.. who would remember everything.. forum would be empty :)

Vellaura, it means you really don't need to worry about all this -all what's needed, happens in background automatically.
Here in forums, we tend to be nitpicking sometimes.. to make sure things will be understood correctly. And we learn that way :)

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Aha okay awesome. I just have 1 final question then from something I noticed. My SSD seems to be filling up slowly 100meg at a time, like it will go from 82.6 to 82.5 and very slowly down. Any idea why this is?