Serial ata ahci bios hang

tmcumbee

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hello all,

I have a Gateway gm5632e w/Intel (Schroeder Town) G33 Motherboard.
(Intel® Matrix Storage Technology) running Vista Home Premium

The system is approx. 2 yrs old. I have been away for a couple of weeks and my nephew has been using the pc.
Now Vista will not boot.

Now when I power on the unit I get a hang at the serial ATA Bios screen which detects the HDDs and gives the following:

Serial ATA BIOS
UPSD SOURCE 8-24-07
AHCI BIOS INSTALLED
(or)
AHCI BIOS NOT INSTALLED

The SATA Bios hangs at this screen, so I cannot get into the system bios(which loads after this) to try to recover the OS.

The only option that I get is to press "CTL + I" to enter the SATA bios and create/delete the RAID Volumes.

I have done the following:
1. Set the CMOS jumper to maintenance (and got into the system BIOS 1 time)
2. Pulled the CMOS battery.
3. Unplugged the SATA drives
4. Connected a different SATA drive.

None of the above have helped me get past this SATA BIOS post.
The computer hangs at that screen indefinately.

:eek:

SPECS:
Gateway gm5632e
Intel (Schroeder Town) G33 Motherboard
Intel® Core™ 2 Q6600 quad core processor with VT
Each core operates at 2.40 GHz
3072 MB DDR2, 667 MHz
Two 500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drives
Vista Home Premium

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated
T

hankthetank

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
seem to be having a similiar problem. Gateway FX 7024

Intel 2 Quad 4 CPU 6600 2.40 Ghz Also about 2 years old. Two 500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drives
Vista Home Premium 32 bit 3 gb ram etc They seem like very similiar systems.

I thought the probelem was the Video Card which was a Factory installed NVidia GeForce 8800 GT.

When I took the card out it ran fine on the Intel Viiv Chipset. Switiched the Bios etc. Well Bought a new card A NVidia Geforce GTS 250 well ran fine for 6 hours playing games. Then after I was done playing all of sudden it shut down. Then rebooting it went nuts just like you said.

The funny thing was their was optional update from Microsoft for ITE I8211 ATA / ATAP Controller that would not update with the video card in there. The update failed. The NVidia optional display updated fine.

Anyhow the PC would not boot up and I was getting the same problems. I pulled the new video card out sigh!!!! The PC came back to life. It came back to life. My guess is Microsoft did an update that blew up and quickly covered their tracks with an hotfix which showed up in my updates. I think a a pissing match is brewing. Something is not working right and it must be driver issue. Sigh!!!!!! Now I have an awesome card which frankly I am scared to put back in.