Question Series of blue screen errors when trying to install Windows XP on Dell Precision 390

rjrobbins2

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
I have a Dell Precision 390 which I had installed Vista on it but the person taking it requested XP Pro for some legacy software. It has a Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz. I have attempted to install XP with 3 different CDs including an official Dell Installation Disc, I have tried two different SSDs that were freshly wiped, and I have tried 4 different RAM sticks. I install XP regularly on old machines and have never had these errors. I have also tried a SATA HDD and took an SSD with Windows XP installed from a Compaq and tried to re-install only to get yet another error.

I have gotten the following errors on the blue Windows Setup Screen at different attempts. Every single time it is a different error.

File PartMgr.sys caused an unexpected error (47872) at line 5964
file /i386/ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
the file ohci1394.sys is corrupted
the file adpu160m.sys is corrupted

Any ideas? This machine is compatible with XP so it should not be an issue.

Lutfij

Titan
I have a Dell Precision 390 which I had installed Vista on it but the person taking it requested XP Pro for some legacy software.
If the prebuilt came with Vista, I'd have installed Windows 7 and run the legacy software in Compatibility mode, i.e, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows XP(from drop down menu).

https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...n-dell-precision-380/647f1785f4ccf8a8dea41c42
^ What is your storage controller set to in BIOS?

rjrobbins2

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
There are three options - RAID Autodetect/AHCI, RAID Autodetect/ATA, and Raid ON. It is set to the AHCI which I believe is correct from my understanding.

This machine is nothing but SATA and PATA and it iisn't having a trouble detecting the drive. I wonder if I should slip in the specific SSD brand driver for the specific drive though

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
It is set to the AHCI which I believe is correct from my understanding.
XP won't boot past the initial screen if the BIOS is set to AHCI, unless you've slipstreamed the correct drivers into the Windows XP DVD. Set the BIOS to ATA or IDE, not RAID or AHCI.
https://superuser.com/questions/427340/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-xp-without-reinstalling

It has a Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz.
I'm not sure, but this CPU might be a bit "fast" for XP, i.e. the drivers might not support the motherboard chipset associated with Core2Duo. Check the motherboard chipset(s), then reference them with XP to see if they're compatible. Most of my XP systems are on older/slower hardware. As with any hardware updates, there comes a point where Microsoft ceased support for newer hardware.

Every single time it is a different error.
Discounting AHCI compatibility issues, have you verified the XP installation media (DVD?) for corrupt files. If it's a commercial disc, e.g. Dell, Compaq, HP, as opposed to a disc you've burned yourself, it should read back OK unless scratched. If you suspect read errors, try changing the DVD drive.

rjrobbins2

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
XP won't boot past the initial screen if the BIOS is set to AHCI, unless you've slipstreamed the correct drivers into the Windows XP DVD. Set the BIOS to ATA or IDE, not RAID or AHCI.
https://superuser.com/questions/427340/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-xp-without-reinstalling
I will give this a shot.

I'm not sure, but this CPU might be a bit "fast" for XP, i.e. the drivers might not support the motherboard chipset associated with Core2Duo. Check the motherboard chipset(s), then reference them with XP to see if they're compatible. Most of my XP systems are on older/slower hardware. As with any hardware updates, there comes a point where Microsoft ceased support for newer hardware.
This machine is certified for XP per documentation and there are sold on eBay installed with XP. But I will double check in case this particular version is different.

Discounting AHCI compatibility issues, have you verified the XP installation media (DVD?) for corrupt files. If it's a commercial disc, e.g. Dell, Compaq, HP, as opposed to a disc you've burned yourself, it should read back OK unless scratched. If you suspect read errors, try changing the DVD drive.
I have tried three different discs including an official Dell CD. I have used them all before without issue and there are no scratches. Actually, I tried a 4th yesterday that was freshly burned with SATA drivers slipstreamed into it.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Another thought.

Does your Dell Precision 390 come with a UEFI BIOS? If so, check to see if there's an option to boot up devices in "Legacy" or "CSM" mode instead of UEFI mode.

Although UEFI might be fine for more recent operating systems, XP might not boot with UEFI set as the first or only boot option.

I'm pretty sure your XP problem is an incompatible BIOS setting, if the computer works fine with Vista.

https://superuser.com/questions/1284392/what-exactly-is-uefi-with-csm-boot-mode

rjrobbins2

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If you don't already have Service Pack 3 slipstreamed into your installation disc, remember to install it after the initial setup.

Tell your friend not to browse the internet (if it's connected) on an OS that's years past its "sell by" date. Avast still offer free anti virus for XP, if you're brave enough to use the internet.
https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus

Similarly, check the firewall settings in XP. I preferred ZoneAlarm at the time.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-configure-windows-xp-firewall/

I used XP all the way up until support ended, then switched to Windows 7. That became my favourite, then I finally switched to Windows 10. My next OS will be Windows 12?

I still have several XP machines I can boot up (to support ancient SCSI scanners and FireWire cards) so feel free to ask any questions.