[SOLVED] Series of BSOD while idle or doing some work

Jan 17, 2019
This my first time here
I have series of bsod when just play game or let pc go idle. Also is it weird when shutdown the PC the PC is still running example all my fan and light still on.

img upload

The thing i done is:
-Update GPU drive
-Update Chipset from MOBO website
-Use Driver Booster to update other drive
-Windows Update
-Sfc /scannow
-chkdsk /f /r

My Spec is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse, MTS-B0)
3600 MHz (36.00x100.0) @ 3600 MHz (36.00x100.0)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79)
BIOS: A.E0, 09/06/2019
Chipset: AMD X470 (Low-Power Promontory PROM28.A)
Memory: 8192 MBytes @ 1333 MHz, 20-19-19-43
- 8192 MB PC21300 DDR4 SDRAM - A-DATA Technology DDR4 2666 2OZ
Graphics: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
AMD Radeon RX 580, 8192 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ST1000DM010-2EP102, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: Patriot Scorch M2, 250.1 GB, NVMe
Sound: ATI/AMD Bermuda/Ellesmere - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Starship/Matisse/Vermeer - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Network: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 18362.449 (1903/May 2019 Update)

Last edited:
Solution
Possibly.

Once the system is booted use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Just use one or the other (not both together).

Observe while the system is sitting idle and doing nothing. However, if an update, backup, or AV scan starts - just let that run.

Then observe while doing light work and some browsing.

Lastly observe while gaming.

The objective is to discover or determine if the BSOD's are load related or perhaps the result of some buggy/corrupted app.

Again, look in Reliability History right after a BSOD occurs. If error is consistent then the problem is likely something specific.

If varying errors and issues - then, to me, the PSU is suspect.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU could be related to the BSODs if the PSU (even if new) if defective or prematurely failing.

Doublecheck that the PSU is capable of providing enough wattage for all installed system components. Total up the wattages using the direct wattage values or, if a range is given, use the high end of the range. Once totaled - add 25%. How close is that end value to 650 watts?

You should only have one network connection at a time.

Just what and how are you doing that wifi and USB tethering? Would not normally expect BSOD's to happen and all the more so if all was indeed working well before.

Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of the BSODs.

Jan 17, 2019
PSU could be related to the BSODs if the PSU (even if new) if defective or prematurely failing.

Doublecheck that the PSU is capable of providing enough wattage for all installed system components. Total up the wattages using the direct wattage values or, if a range is given, use the high end of the range. Once totaled - add 25%. How close is that end value to 650 watts?

Okay i doing some investigation on my psu... PSU fan not spinning when power on... is PSU fan always spinning when pc turn on or it depend by temperature?

Jan 17, 2019
Does the following link show your PSU?

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/masterwatt/masterwatt-650-tuf-gaming-edition/

As I understand the description, the fan does not spin when under 15% load.

However, as part of your investigations, take a close look at the specs and fine print in the PSU's User Manual/Guide regarding the fan's operation.
[/QUOTE

Ahh yes... it maybe psu problem... Another is sometime when i booting and it go to log in screen of windows 10 usually my cursor a bit laggy like stuttering until it fix itself... is that related to the bsod?

Ralston18

Titan
Possibly.

Once the system is booted use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Just use one or the other (not both together).

Observe while the system is sitting idle and doing nothing. However, if an update, backup, or AV scan starts - just let that run.

Then observe while doing light work and some browsing.

Lastly observe while gaming.

The objective is to discover or determine if the BSOD's are load related or perhaps the result of some buggy/corrupted app.

Again, look in Reliability History right after a BSOD occurs. If error is consistent then the problem is likely something specific.

If varying errors and issues - then, to me, the PSU is suspect.

Solution
Jan 17, 2019
Sorry for abandon this post for some time
The PSU is not a problem. The bios version is problem at least it just my case...

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

I used 7B79vAE right now which is does not have bsod... the upgrade to latest bios version which is 7B79vAF or 7B79vAG the bsod occur... but right now my pc cant shutdown properly.( I need force shutdown it everytime) the 7B79vAG fix shutdown problem but got bsod problem is mobo problem.

PS:
As i know based of calculation on PSU all my total WATT is 511 add 25% is 638.75 which is a bit lower that my psu 650 WATT should change my psu to 750WATT one?

Last edited: