Question Serious and never experienced before network problem

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
This issue baffles me totally and I have never heard of this before.
I will try to explain as detailed i can.
It all started two days ago when I started to host a minecraft modded server, me and my friend got on the server, everything worked fine for about an hour but suddenly, my discord logs out, my server goes down, and everything internet related stopped working.
I even saw in right down corner the ethernet icon turned to the classic globe with a blocked mark on it.
I thought my ISP was screwing it up and didn't do much, restarted the PC and then it was up and working again. Nice, we are good to go.
Same procedure, and after 10 minutes it happened again!! This time I knew its not ISP related since I went on my smartphone and the wifi was working flawlessly, even though my PC said it lost connection to internet.
I tried all the regular troubleshooting. The windows error troubleshoot but it just kept on trying to find solution and nothing happened, I tried disabling and enabling network adapter in device manager, but as soon as I did that, the device manager stopped responding and didn't work again. My PC started to cripple, the Windows Ethernet in control panel stopped working too, never experienced it before and didn't understand jack...
Restarted my PC again and yeah, same thing, worked flawlessly and now it worked for several hours, a day, all the way until now moments ago.
Same stuff again, but this time several odd flags;
Me and my friend was on the server, suddenly he logs out of the minecraft server and myself was not thrown out, and he started to ask me on discord what happened, why he got thrown out, i replied and as soon as I started explaining he said "hello? You there, helloooo" whilst I was fully working with the mic and everything.
10 seconds later I got disconnected from discord but the sound y'all know discord does "pling plong" or the login "plong pling"
It started to spam that sound, in out in out in out in out for like 10 times until it stopped and now the Ethernet was totally down again.
But what I cannot grasp is the fact I heard my pal on discord for several seconds AFTER he got disconnected from the server and BEFORE i lost connection to Ethernet
With all my PC knowledge I really don't know what to make of this?
I have done ONE thing in my router and that was to open the port for minecraft 25565, and I have a very high end gaming router from Asus so I can never ever believe it something wrong there since when restarting computer internet works again
So can anyone here tell me what do do next?
The event log does not list anything related to the problem either
The DNS sever is set to Auto, and I have updated drivers... I don't know what to do next :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

I tried disabling and enabling network adapter in device manager, but as soon as I did that, the device manager stopped responding and didnt work again. My PC started to cripple, the Windows Ethernet in control panel stopped working too
Em, this reads to me like your OS is corrupt. Might want to state the specs to your build as well. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Might also want to include your networking gear as well.

Last edited:

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Sure!

CPU: i7 12700KF, not OCd
Motherboard: Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Ram: 32GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: M.2 SSD 1TB
GPU: RTX 2080 Super
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750W Gold
Chassis: Fractal Design R6 Define
Network related:
Asus RT-AX92U
Disabled IPV6 in Windows
Disabled other programs taking control over network card
Intel Ethernet Controller I225-v

A note is that not long ago I did a factory reset (former: format) of my Windows drive, because of another weird problem I had, it was related to that explorer.exe stopped working and freezed for long time

Nicklas

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
because of another weird problem I had, it was related to that explorer.exe stopped working and freezed for long time
Where did you source the installer for the OS? + BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Uhm, on a regular USB stick that I have had only for those two things really
Got the ISO tool from microsoft and "reinstalled" W10,.
But I never have bios flash related and Windows related files same time on the flash drive, and always format it when I dont need the stuff on it anymore

I would start by installing the latest network driver update.
for your local machine: Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V
(most likely fix)

next i would look at the router and make sure it does not need a firmware update.

I would not focus on the fact that you got disconnected and you heard your friend for a few seconds. Most likely the data was buffered.

next I would look into your event viewer logs to see if there was some event like too many tcp connections. generally, windows would just throttle the connections but not disconnect.

to debug you would start cmd.exe as an admin then run
netstat.exe -a -b
use netstat.exe /? for more options.
i think i225 can use tcp off load and if i remember correctly there was some bugs in the old drivers. (i had to disable the option in the old driver) some bugs can be in the actual hardware on the motherboard and you have to disable the function.

the netstat command will let you see what is going on with your tcp and winsock connections before you get disconnected.

normally for a problem like this I would use a network sniffer and look at the network packets to find out why the connection has been reset and who reset it. the client or the server. Best hope it that the driver update fixes the problem so you do not have to debug further.

this ethernet controller comes with two sets of drivers: one from microsoft and one from intel. the intel version is not updated with windows updates. You have to update it at the above website.

Last edited: