[SOLVED] Serious issues with brand new RTX 2060

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Background: I actually had issues with my previous GPU only 3 months ago, most of it is detailed in this reddit thread. TL;DR of that: 11 months old GTX 1060 gave me black screen; tech store said it also wasn't working for them; RMA'd the GPU to Zotac but they still haven't given me a return.

I ended up buying an RTX 2060, it arrived today, installed it plus drivers after running DDU. I played some lighter games such as Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2 and Dota 2, perfect. Decided to play newer ones: Watch Dogs 2, Kingdom Come Deliverance and Injustice 2.

Screen got all glitched and my PC turned off a minute into WD2; the same thing happened a few more times during Windows boot until it worked. Tried KCD and it lasted a few minutes more but then I got a BSOD. This time it didn't shutdown while loading Windows afterwards.
That was yesterday, today I tried Injustice 2, BSOD again, 5 minutes in, still in the menus. PC reboots and there are some green artifacts on the screen that soon vanish. Now it's on but I can't change the resolution from 800x600.
  • I was checking temperatures during gameplay and everything was normal.
  • PSU is supposed to be enough if online calculators are correct.
  • Only one PCI-E slot on the MB so can't swap it.
  • Blue Screen of Death has no error code. It just says Windows had to shut down, "=(".
  • Does the GPU have a factory defect? If not what on my PC could be causing this?
I'm really lost here. Spent more than I should to get this GPU because I didn't know when I'd get the other back, and now already having big issues on the first day. Below are my specs, the rest of the build is ~7 years old. Thanks.

TL;DR: Getting BSOD when trying heavier games with new GPU. Temperatures seem normal.

GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 XC Black Gaming 6GB, GDDR6
CPU: i7-2600
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
MB: ASUS P8H61-M LE/BR
PSU: Corsair CX 600W
Storage: 1x HDD, 2x SSDs

Last edited:
Solution
I told this before as well, and I'm saying it once again.

Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may...

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
The shutdown issue can (likely) be cleared up by installing the motherboard chipset drivers. Get those from Intel:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Run this tool and update all applicable Intel drivers.

Windows will install default drivers. You'll need to manually install the Nvidia drivers.

The tool said there are no software updates available. Anyway, the shutdown thing is the least of my problems, just thought it could maybe be related to everything else.

And the latest 436.15 Nvidia drivers were installed according to GPU-Z. Regardless, I've ran DDU and downloaded them from Nvidia again, to no avail.

Ever since I've reinstalled Windows, Code 43 has been permanent: GPU is effectively disabled and I can't even test it anymore.

Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective.

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

Reactions: dratyan
Solution

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

Yes, thank you, and I've already responded to everything that post said. Today I took the GPU to a PC shop for testing like it was recommended, and am now waiting for results that will take a few days. I was simply trying to do everything I could except testing on another PC, since it was impossible for me on the weekend. I tried to narrow down the issue to a specific hardware part, or try to fix the issue if it was software related.

Not to mention that Code 43 wasn't the initial problem, it showed up along the troubleshooting, and it was one of many problems.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Got the GPU back from the PC shop today, apparently everything is okay with it. The problem lies elsewhere. Since I've done a clean Windows install, I'm supposing it's also not a software thing. So, my question is, can all of these errors below...
  • VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE(nvlddmkm.sys)
  • VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR
  • DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
  • Code 43 (on the GPU)
...be connected to one or more of these...?
  • Motherboard
  • PSU
  • RAM
  • CPU

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
5 year old PSU likely can't supply enough power when the new card is plugged in. They DO age and after a time can no longer supply their rated output. That's the very first place I'd be looking.

I'm gonna try to find an extra PSU to test it out, or take out the old PSU for testing. If I can't or if replacing that doesn't solve the problem I might as well carry the entire desktop to the shop. In the meantime I'll continue to run tests, still accepting suggestions for benchmark tools for every component. Already used the Windows basic ones and MemTest86.

Once more, thanks everyone for the help.

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION is a cpu error. It's very likely a problem with your psu. Not to mention it's age and the fact that it wasn't that great of a unit to begin with.
You can try to overload your psu by running synthetic tests like Furmark and Prime 95 at the same time for maximum power load and see if it crashes.
However, considering the premature death of your last card... I'd just get a new PSU right away and not risk potentially losing more components from bad power regulation.

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION is a cpu error

That's not necessary though. It's not CPU.

DPC Watchdog Violation (error code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation) is a common issue in the Windows operating system. It’s MOSTLY occurred due to some specific reasons, like unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version, hardware incompatibility issues, or IF the system files are corrupted.

DPC is the abbreviated form for Deferred Procedure Call. Watchdog denotes Bug Checker.

This Bug Checker helps monitor all windows processes as well as the background performances. Its check value is 0x00000133. The violation message appears when Bug Checker waits for a longer duration than normal such as over 100 microseconds. If Bug Checker does not find a response, it will show this error message.

Several things can cause a DPC Watchdog Violation to be triggered in Windows.

One of the most common is an SSD drive that has old firmware not supported by Windows 8. Another likely cause is an outdated driver for one of your hardware components. For example, if your sound card driver does not support Windows 8, simply plugging in a set of headphones could produce a DPC Watchdog Violation error. While not as common, software installations that affect your system software could also lead to DPC Watchdog Violations and the corresponding blue screen of death.

The violation message appears when Bug Checker waits for a longer duration than normal such as over 100 microseconds. If Bug Checker does not find a response, it will show this error message.
The error ultimately tells that data that should have been received was not received.
It CAN be caused by bad coding but on a hardware level it's pretty much always caused by a lack of voltage to deliver data from register to another. This is obviously monitored by the cpu and therefore is a cpu error.

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
The saga continues...

I was about to purchase a new PSU, but decided to give the system as it is one last try. Took it apart, put it back together, reinstalled Windows. For a full 24 hours it worked perfectly. Played Dota 2, Apex Legends, South Park with the expected performance. As I was about to go sleep, PC had been completely idle for an hour or so(screen on but I wasn't using it), a BSOD shows up, with a new error code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (nvlddmkm.sys). After rebooting, Code 43 is back.

I guess I'll still buy the PSU, but this is just so weird. Why would it work fine for a day and then give me yet another driver error? It also makes me worried that the GPU testing they've done at the PC shop might not have totally excluded the possibility of the GPU being faulty. It only stayed there for a couple of days and they would only have tested it in commercial hours, so not a lot. If the GPU can work for 24+ hours without errors, they might've missed it and I would be buying new parts for no reason instead of RMA'ing a broken card.

dratyan

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
So... I was already stressed out with the whole thing (that was supposed to be a hobby, to relieve actual stress from work) when I found myself near a PC store yesterday. I ended up buying new parts in hopes of finally ending this drama.

Ryzen 5 3600
8GB RAM DDR4 (x2)
A320M-K/BR mobo
CX650 PSU

After one more clean Windows installation, the PC worked perfectly! For about 30 hours. Then, the same old graphical glitches showed up, it shutdown, and now I have a Code 43. Exact same thing.

So in the end, there was nothing wrong with my PC. All along it was the ****ty GPU that came broken. Now, hundreds of dollars later, I'll be RMAing it. I just hope EVGA is a bit better than Zotac so I don't spend another three months without a card.

If anyone finds this thread while looking for solutions, my advice is: RMA your card as soon as any video related issue shows up. I didn't and ended up spending dozens of hours troubleshooting for 2 weeks as well as basically buying an entire new setup just to end up RMAing the GPU anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.