Question Serious issues with ping

Dec 18, 2020
I can't tell what you are ping.

You can try a tool called pingplotter but you have to be very careful not mis read the tools.

In general a ping spike means there is a overloaded connection and your data is being held in a buffer. You can do very little about this unless it happens to be in your equipment or if the cause is you are overloading your internet connection.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Wired and 12 users

does the router have QoS “bandwidth limiter”. If it does, you might want to limit the other devices a certain portion of the bandwidth depending on who is using and “what” they are using it for. Tablets, and phones can easily have access to all the bandwidth on the network. Once you bottleneck your bandwidth you would experience issues with latency.

Divide the bandwidth among device based on importance and usage and you should see improvements. Give the other devices at least 80 mbps, and the main device you are running the ping tests and see if there is any improvements. That way if the main device is getting most of the bandwidth, then the device is using it for other applications, and then it’s a CPU/device settings issue. I for one only use 4 mbps by choice.. mbps does improve latency unless you are constantly exceeding it.

Dec 18, 2020
does the router have QoS “bandwidth limiter”. If it does, you might want to limit the other devices a certain portion of the bandwidth depending on who is using and “what” they are using it for. Tablets, and phones can easily have access to all the bandwidth on the network. Once you bottleneck your bandwidth you would experience issues with latency.

Divide the bandwidth among device based on importance and usage and you should see improvements. Give the other devices at least 80 mbps, and the main device you are running the ping tests and see if there is any improvements. That way if the main device is getting most of the bandwidth, then the device is using it for other applications, and then it’s a CPU/device settings issue. I for one only use 4 mbps by choice.. mbps does improve latency unless you are constantly exceeding it.
I did not see an option on Linksys