Question Serious Question: Is there any way an unplugged and boxed up flat screen monitor can blow up or start a fire?

Nov 18, 2020
So a sealed box containing 2 Acer flat screen monitors supposedly caught on fire, causing a vehicle to be totaled. Please note that this vehicle was a Prius with the battery compartment next to video of firewhere the box was located. (I am going with the battery compartment triggering the fire....)

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So a sealed box containing 2 Acer flat screen monitors supposedly caught on fire, causing a vehicle to be totaled. Please note that this vehicle was a Prius with the battery compartment next to where the box was located. (I am going with the battery compartment triggering the fire....)

With so little detail it would be impossible to make an informed decision/opinion on this.

Standard car batteries can catch fire. If it were the lithium battery on an electric car there would be absolutely no doubt if it were the cause. Cardboard can catch fire sitting in enough heat, like per se the hatch back in full sun.
There is nothing about the make up of an unplugged flat screen that would make me think it could spontaneously combust, but stranger things have certainly happened.

Of note, if there happened to be an oily rag or the like back there, they can go up quite readily. Learned that in shop long ago.

Nov 18, 2020
With so little detail it would be impossible to make an informed decision/opinion on this.

Standard car batteries can catch fire. If it were the lithium battery on an electric car there would be absolutely no doubt if it were the cause. Cardboard can catch fire sitting in enough heat, like per se the hatch back in full sun.
There is nothing about the make up of an unplugged flat screen that would make me think it could spontaneously combust, but stranger things have certainly happened.

Of note, if there happened to be an oily rag or the like back there, they can go up quite readily. Learned that in shop long ago.
2012 Prius. Electric car battery area was melted.

Nov 18, 2020
To start a fire you need heat energy. There is nothing in a TV that I know of that could store enough energy to start a fire. I’d imagine if there was a real risk TV’s would require the same care as shipping lithium batteries.

Video of fire https://usacouriers-my.sharepoint.c...1PlpKlPniLo0oBW9wzezvFyuOFFgOJoTXTdw?e=2lgRze

Nov 18, 2020

Video of fire:

USAFRet

Titan
2 computer flat screens, acers. They are not sharing the reports with us. O thought Toyota should make the determination as well. Did you watch the video?
Yes, I watched it. Tells us nothing.

That's like look at a burning house, from a doorbell camera across the street, and determining if the original cause was a faulty crockpot, or someone falling asleep on the couch with a burning cigarette, or a faulty hoverboard battery.

Not sharing the report with you? Unless some entity is pinging you to be at fault, it doesn't matter. Toyota and Acer and the relevant insurance companies can fight it out.

To start a fire you need heat energy. There is nothing in a TV that I know of that could store enough energy to start a fire. I’d imagine if there was a real risk TV’s would require the same care as shipping lithium batteries.
A brand new, never used monitor won't have anything.

On a used, even just for a few minutes, monitor you have capacitors that have stored energy, enough to create an ignition source.
Also if it has a remote and the batteries are inserted it can also cause enough heat.

USAFRet

Titan
All you need is a spark and enough bad luck.
The packaging foam and all styrofoam are very flammable.
This is true.

But every other instance of spontaneous combustion of regular consumer devices is widely publicized.
hoverboards, cell phones, lithium batteries, car cruise controls, hybrid/elec car batteries, etc, etc...

Are there any reports of these specific monitors, or their remotes, doing this in a fully powered off and boxed up state?
Or is this Patient Zero?

Nov 18, 2020
Exactly, the ones posted were plugged in. I am of the impression these were never used as they were in the same boxes as they were shipped out in. And yes, they are looking for $$$