'Serious Sam VR' Isn’t A First Person Shooter, It’s A First Person Shoot-Em-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

oyoy

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
If I can't move (walk, run, jump..) and can't use my keyboard+mice while sitting on my comfy chair, I don't get it. Do I really need a big empty room to throw my hands in the air like I just don't care (breaking something)?

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
OYOY - That is what Chaperone is all about. When you get near your defined edges in the room an electronic wall appears in VR. On the Vive it even has a camera that can overlay the room. As for needing some space yes you generally need at least a 6x8ft area or so. Locomotion is usually done by pointing to a point in your vision and using the controllers to teleport there. They have gotten better and better at VR locomotion. You should really try it before knocking it, VR really can blow you away.

MrBonk

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
"Croteam didn’t try to shoehorn a game designed for the keyboard and mouse into this new medium."

Shoehorn?
But that's all I want. I want to play normal games in VR. Roomscale is stupid, how many people have room to dedicate an entire space free of clutter just for this? Teleporting, or being stuck static is dumb.

I'd rather play more games like Lucky's Tale than be shoehorned into the artificial limitations of forcing VR games to be in first person.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

To truly feel like you are serious sam, not just controlling an avatar, yeah, you do need to stand up and move your arms around. You aim the guns like you would a real gun; by pointing in that direction.
You don't need a big empty room. My space is smaller than the average living room, basement, or office.

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
This game is a little more FPS than most other VR wave shooters. For one, you absolutely need to keep moving and dodging, or you'll get your ass handed to you. And no, you don't need oodles of space, I can make do with my 2m x 2m play area.

Status
Not open for further replies.