Serious SSD question

kebbz

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Using PHOTOSHOP as an example.

Example 1: OS remains on HDD. but Photoshop installed in SSD

Example 2: OS and Photoshop installed in SSD

Question: Will Photoshop run faster in Example 2? or no Difference?

PS: I dont care about OS boot times. just program performance.

Solution
There are advantages to having both the operating system and digital imaging applications installed on a solid state drive. I used to work full time as a digital imaging editor. The upgrade from hard disk drive to ssd definitely increased performance. I had one image library consisting of over 3,500 raw images. With a hard disk I had to wait quite a bit for the thumbnail images to appear on the monitor screen. When I upgraded to ssd the images appeared almost instantly. The other major differences are the rendering processes. With the hard drive I had to wait a few seconds to the process to complete. With an ssd the rendering process is almost instantaneous. The upgrade from hard drive to ssd is even more noticeable during video editing.

USAFRet

Titan

Example 2 will be faster overall.
When you run Photoshop, it also interacts with the OS. If the OS is living on the HDD...that functionality runs at HDD speed.

There are advantages to having both the operating system and digital imaging applications installed on a solid state drive. I used to work full time as a digital imaging editor. The upgrade from hard disk drive to ssd definitely increased performance. I had one image library consisting of over 3,500 raw images. With a hard disk I had to wait quite a bit for the thumbnail images to appear on the monitor screen. When I upgraded to ssd the images appeared almost instantly. The other major differences are the rendering processes. With the hard drive I had to wait a few seconds to the process to complete. With an ssd the rendering process is almost instantaneous. The upgrade from hard drive to ssd is even more noticeable during video editing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS