Serious Windows Messenger Problem

Hi,

This has happened to me and I now have a friend that also has the same
problem. Windows messenger suddenly starts just throwing you into a file
transfer dialogue for no reason. This started with 4.7 and even after
upgrading to WM 5.0 it is still occuring. Could somebody please tell me how
to first get rid of windows messenger 5 and drop back to 4.7. Also, if
possible, how can you do a repair on windows messenger 4.7? I do not
understand why this unusual behavior just starts but I would like to know
how to fix the original installation without upgrading or re-installing
windows completely. Thanks for your help. Oh, one more comment. Once this
unwanted file transfer dialogue pops up we cannot close it. The only way to
get rid of it is a re-boot.

Gary

Sounds like some errant program has taken over your computer and is trying
to transfer itself to anyone you are communicating with.

Run both SpyBot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html and
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/.

See what they turn up.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Gary Jackson" <gary@midcountypc.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This has happened to me and I now have a friend that also has the same
> problem. Windows messenger suddenly starts just throwing you into a file
> transfer dialogue for no reason. This started with 4.7 and even after
> upgrading to WM 5.0 it is still occuring. Could somebody please tell me
> how
> to first get rid of windows messenger 5 and drop back to 4.7. Also, if
> possible, how can you do a repair on windows messenger 4.7? I do not
> understand why this unusual behavior just starts but I would like to know
> how to fix the original installation without upgrading or re-installing
> windows completely. Thanks for your help. Oh, one more comment. Once this
> unwanted file transfer dialogue pops up we cannot close it. The only way
> get rid of it is a re-boot.
>
> Gary

Hi Richard,

I hadn't thought of spyware so thanks for the suggestion. Running AdAware
but not Spybot. I'll try it. Any ideas on how to drop back from windows
messenger 5 to 4.7 and do a repair on 4.7?

Gary