[SOLVED] Server advice

ShadeSlayer812

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
I have decided to switch from a monthly VPS to my own server. I don't need to switch right away, so I decided to build one since I have a good bit of experience building PCs.

What I am wondering about is what type of processor/board combo I should use. The server won't be used for anything that can utilize more than one core, so typical server cpus like Intel Xeon are a waste of money. I need a high clock speed though. This leads me to believe that a high-end consumer gaming cpu would best fit my uses.

However, I still need the computer to work like a server. It needs 24/7 up time, hot-swap-able storage, ECC memory, etc. The board also needs good over-clocking capabilities, otherwise I would be wasting money on a CPU designed to be overclocked. The most I will need in the way of graphics will be the ability to run CentOS with no GUI, so integrated graphics are basically a must (why would I want to waste money, PCI slots, and space on GPU). I will need at least 2 M.2 NVMe slots, at least 3 PCIe slots (that don't use the same lanes as the M.2 slots), ability to utilize a 10 Gb Ethernet card (and be able to instantly switch to the mobo/another card if it fails), and hot swapable sata drives.

I don't need any specific recommendations, I know how to use Google. But I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If anyone has any advice it would be great.

Thanks!

Solution
If you really want 24/7 then you should think about fully redundant servers. That way if one fails you are only down to 1/2 capacity rather than completely down.
You might get better availability with two less expensive servers if the processing can support it.

kanewolf

Titan
If you really want 24/7 then you should think about fully redundant servers. That way if one fails you are only down to 1/2 capacity rather than completely down.
You might get better availability with two less expensive servers if the processing can support it.

Solution