[SOLVED] Server Build for Small Business Advise & Help!

Jan 28, 2019
Greetings!

First post here, really glad to finally join TH forums!
Perhaps this would be a text wall, just a heads-up :)

We own a small family business (8 employees atm) and our Server, after 15 years of service, is ''dying''.
I recently joined after finishing my studies and my Dad wants me to see if we should buy a server or build one.

Last week I received an offer from our IT support, but honestly, the amount of money they ask for a basic DELL T130 II Server seems ridiculous to me,
especially with those bad specs. They sell it to us 1200€ + OS & Support, with a total of 2000€.

At the moment i own a Supermicro X9SRL-f mobo & an e5-2603 v2 & e3-1225 v3, as well as 2012 Windows Server.

So my question is, can i build a good, reliable server with the above using the 1200€ to buy the rest of the parts needed (perhaps with Raid10)? Or should i go with the Dell one?

The Server will be used for daily/weekly back-up from all 10 Pc's, we also have two network printers and a Software that we use to issue invoices through Customs.

P.S.: Although i am supporting our company in the IT part, I never had any experience with Servers, thus even if i build one our IT Support Company will be managing it and setting it up.

Sorry if that was a long post guys.
Thanks in advance for all your answers and time spend reading my post.

Sparty
+++

Solution
Go to the Dell site for your country and spec the T130 you want. The offering above seems like the base model with minimal RAM and HDD storage.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What level of support (and for how long) is included with the Dell offering? Keep in mind that the Dell offers a certain level of "peace of mind". This server is integral to your business' success and operations and you want a stable, reliable device. What OS are they offering with it?

Jan 28, 2019

Hello. Thanks for replying.
They offer installation and customization of the Server and all the network users and devices and support for anything that may happen for 1 year. After that, we suppose to renew the contract. They do not do more than 1-year contracts for some weird reason...

Regarding OS they offer, and i am quoting, DELL Windows Server 2016 R2, Foundation Edition 25 cals.

Although i could buy the 2016 version if i would end up building a better Server and just hiring them for support.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I work with servers daily, and been doing IT for close to 25 years. 2000€ is cheap compared to the servers we order, even for small businesses. In the long run, you'll end up paying your IT company more to fix anything you might get wrong. Especially if you don't really know what you're doing. I've considered building servers before. In the end, it just usually isn't worth it. Close to half of that cost will go into your licensing. For Server 2016 Standard and 10 CAL it's roughly 928€.

I'm a little bit confused though. Foundation edition doesn't really exist anymore. Is this through a 3rd party, or directly from Dell? Shouldn't be forced to buy 25 CALs for an 8 person office.

Jan 28, 2019

Could not agree more with you tbh. I would prefer to buy a DELL ready Server even with the double amount of money. This is why i am hesitant with those specs that it is really worth that much or even if it current on DELL's lineup.

Regarding the software, honestly, they claim that is pre-installed from DELL. And that rose my suspicions about old hardware and/or mixing what they have to present a niche Server. Also, the inquiry they sent me states for the e3-1230 v6 and in the specs, they state that the CPU is e3-1226 v6.
As well as they offer me 8GB of Ram... That must be wrong... i mean our account department needs at least 16 GB...

Hope u understand my hesitations.

Jan 28, 2019

I would go with DELL as well but with a comparison of what i could order from DELL they kinda riping me off tbh.
As stated, 8GB of Ram for a Server? Kinda low isn't it?

An expansion is on schedule, adding 1 more printer and at least 2 more workstations before Easter. As well as we would like to keep this server for the next 4 years minimum. That is why i am wondering.

I can upload a photo with the Server specs they offered me is this is more helpfull.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006

Not saying you can't get a Dell through a 3rd party, but maybe hit up Dell.com?

Jan 28, 2019
Below is our received inquiry.

Since i would prefer going with a DELL Server, as recommended by you guys (thanks!), is that any good for my needs, or they indeed ripping me off ?? We are not planning to to upgrade for the next 5 years tbh. If not is it possible to suggest me a good build from DELL's lineup Servers?

https://imgur.com/a/7VOyIAW

Jan 28, 2019

That's what i am going to do. Since my main concern is what the 3rd party offers me seems kinda sketchy.
Do u have any suggestions about a model that should i look up? Mostly a Tower Server but i would be open to a Rack Server as well.

Jan 28, 2019

Ok, i will!
Sorry if i am becoming tedious, but for my needs and so it can be reliably run for the next 4 years at least which CPU should i choose, and what RAM would u suggest? 32GB or 64?
Also what HDD config? Should i go with Raid 10 or no Raid at all?

Thanks in advance!