vallver

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Well... I need to build a small server (just to show how a server would work) and would like some help

1. I would like to know what caracteristics are the most valuable in this kind of computers (i. e. what type of processor, ram, hd, etc.)

2. A build with the "ideal" server specs

3. A build with the best server components with a budget of around 1000$
(keep in mins it is just to show how they work)

Thanks in advance

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmmm... well servers/workstations are my niche so I'll try to help as much as I can. How... are you looking for RAID or anything specific like this? Do you use Linux or are you just into using Windows? As for processors, An Opty or Xeon (the single-socket ones) might just do the trick. Hard drives? Due to your budget I'd say you're limited to SATA and not SAS or SCSI since those right there will run you up almost $1k.

Mobowise... are you more inclined to AMD or Intel or do you just care about the best quality? You could do something like a Xeon 3050 on an ASUS mobo with a few HDDs...

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
If you don't have enough "spare" parts lying around to build a system, start with a M/B CPU combo and work your way up from there. 2000 Server will run on a PIII 700 w/ 512M as a low end file server quite comfortably. An XP2500 with 1G and a PATA RAID runs 2003 with Exchange and SQL in a limited network very smoothly and if you need a server for "alternative" applications a K6II with 256 and Ubuntu won't get infested easily.

Follow KISS and you can't get burned too bad, Keep It Simple Studly.