server CPU upgrade

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got my hands on an old IBM server which sports 6 P-166's. I am wondering if these can be upgraded to 233's. I tried IBM's website but couldn't really find any info. on this. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if they can be upgraded??????.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
is there no info on the board? normally there are details of the jumpoer settings printed on the boards, clock speed, mulitplier etc.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You have to be careful though--the CPU core voltage has to be noted as well. I believe Intel P233MMX CPUs run on 2.88 VCore--the lowest voltage line of any of Intel's Socket7 line.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
ACK! Willing to part with that piece of hardware? :smile:

I got a dual P166 that will very soon replace my
old P120 as my router. Boy I would love to get
a 6CPU box in the house!

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I finally got some time and cracked the thing open last night. It turns out the all the CPU's are soldered to the board so no upgrade possibility. It was a job though to get the thing open, they are built like tanks.....and probably weigh as much (about 80 pounds). I have another one also that has 4 Pentium Pro @200 MHz, those are not soldered to the board but are just the standard socket 8. I was going to use it in my house as a server but the thing has 2 470 Watt power supplies. A don't really want a computer that sucks a kilowatt of power running in my house all day. I think I would have to give it its own circuit breaker. This server is even a bigger beast than the one with 6 CPU's. But the good thing is that it has 2 GB of ECC RAM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For the Pentium Pro you can get a PII 333 overdrive made by Intel from several venders for as little as $79. You canh also get Socket 8 to Socket 370 adapters from Powerleap that accept faster Celerons!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know that the original Celerons supported SMP. Whether they would support quad or only dual is something I don't know. My guess is, if the PII supported quad, the Celeron supported quad.
I hear that SMP has been disabled on the newer FC-PGA (Coppermine) Celeron, but have not confirmed this.
So dual PPGA Celerons should work.
4 Celerons might work, I don't know. I would try it. If quad Celerons works, good. If not, put the spare parts in some Intergraph Dual P-Pro machines (because they can be had for little money) and resell them.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

TRENDING THREADS