Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2020
Hello, I was planning on home hosting a server for "Fivem" and I understand that when you homehost your Routers IP can easily be got. I was wondering if I where to use a VPN on the computer that is Hosting will it hide my IP and use the VPN's IP.

Solution
Whether it is the IP address of the VPN, or the IP address given to you by your ISP....they are still connecting to your system and LAN.
You are to a point confusing 2 types of vpn. The vpn people use most times for games is directly on your router. That one to establish the vpn they must have your IP. They then play the game on the internal IP. When you host they directly connect to your game server via your router. Either way they get your IP.

The only other solution is to buy another IP. There are some forms of VPN you would create a vpn tunnel to some provider and they would give you a fixed public IP. This is much more expensive than the common VPN services where you share a IP with other users.

Many times it is cheaper to use a hosting site if you are going to pay for a service. I have not heard of that game so I don't know what hosting services offer it and what they charge.

Reactions: SamirD
Status
Not open for further replies.