[SOLVED] Server Hosting Connection speed bottleneck

Apr 1, 2020
Hello all,

So I want to host a gaming server as a hobby, however I have a concern on if my network is going to be a bottleneck for my server. Let's say I invested in a quality gaming server that could efficiently run the game and handle LAN network connections for up to 30 users. So the server can handle the load, but I have a standard internet connection of 10MBps (megabytes) at home and I want to bring 30 users on from over the Internet. Should I worry about the throughput of my upload speed or is am I just imagining a bottleneck? If my network connection is a bottleneck, what should I optimize for both server-hardware wise and network wise to improve my connection speed? I'm looking to avoid having to change my networking plan.

Thank you!

Solution
I intended to use a proxy server to mask my IP, will that work?
It will make it impossible in most cases. Most proxy change even more and most proxy are only used for outbound sessions there is not way for someone to connect to you using those IP addresses.

Now you could I suppose get a fixed IP address from a hosting company and somehow forward it to your house. At that point it is likely cheaper to just put the server in the hosting center.

When it comes to hosting server the network is likely going be more important and cost more than the server itself
YOu will gave at least two problems:
  • your IP address will change once in a while. You will have to setup DynDNS;
  • your 10mbps Internet plan has less than 1mbps upload, and will choke with 30 users.
First order of business it to have some performance data - what traffic will your game server generate per client, then provision proper Interne connection.

Apr 1, 2020
YOu will gave at least two problems:
  • your IP address will change once in a while. You will have to setup DynDNS;
  • your 10mbps Internet plan has less than 1mbps upload, and will choke with 30 users.
First order of business it to have some performance data - what traffic will your game server generate per client, then provision proper Interne connection.

It will make it impossible in most cases. Most proxy change even more and most proxy are only used for outbound sessions there is not way for someone to connect to you using those IP addresses.

Now you could I suppose get a fixed IP address from a hosting company and somehow forward it to your house. At that point it is likely cheaper to just put the server in the hosting center.

When it comes to hosting server the network is likely going be more important and cost more than the server itself

Solution