Server hosting questions.

tromboneninja

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Hi, I have no idea what I'm getting into.

I'm in the market for a server that can host a website and possibly a Minecraft server or two. I probably have the wrong idea of what a server really is and does, so bear with me. My understanding of a server is basically a small computer that can read and run files and applications, such as a Minecraft server. I've done a little bit of research, but all I've come up with are 1,000 to 12,000 dollar business servers designed for storing lots of data. I have hosted game servers on my laptop and desktop, but I'd like something more permanent, something that can be running efficiently all of the time, but doesn't cost a small fortune, maybe 1 or 2 hundred max.

Does anyone out there know what kind of server I'm looking for?

Thanks a bunch,

- Some geek on the internet

Solution
Just like $100 - $200 doesn't buy much desktop, it doesn't buy much server either. Any desktop can be a server. For the price you want to pay, go find a used desktop on E-bay, Craigslist or a pawn shop. Put a free Linux version on it. Presto you have a server.

kanewolf

Titan
Just like $100 - $200 doesn't buy much desktop, it doesn't buy much server either. Any desktop can be a server. For the price you want to pay, go find a used desktop on E-bay, Craigslist or a pawn shop. Put a free Linux version on it. Presto you have a server.

Solution