Server manager

Why do I have over 90 % of my machines in server manager
greyed out ? These machines are active on the network, we
can access them and everything. There are a mix of
workstations and servers

Probably because 90% of your machines registering with a
different segment master browser (SMB) than the other 1
0%. <g> When a Windows computer boots it will send a
host name announcement packet to an SMB every minute
to start and increasing intervals settling down at every 12
minutes to make it's presence known on the network. Most
of the time this is due to another machine forcing a browse
election or a router forwarding broadcast packets to a remote
subnet. Without any details at all it would be hard for anyone
to advise Andy.
"AndyW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why do I have over 90 % of my machines in server manager
> greyed out ? These machines are active on the network, we
> can access them and everything. There are a mix of
> workstations and servers

Sorry Michael...We have 3 subnets (2 class c addresses,
one private 10.0.0.0 address) The PDC is on 1 of these
class c addresses..lets say 195.10.10.0. We have 3 WINS
servers, one on each subnet (two NT4 servers , one W2K).
There is a Cisco 3600 router which links the three subnets
and they can all see each other no problems (a machine on
each subent can ping a machine on the other subnet by
name, not IP address, even though they can not see all
machines in network neighbourhood)

Make sure the routers are not forwarding broadcast packets,
I believe Cisco calls this their IP helper. Assuming this is an
NT 4.0 domain environment disable the computer browser
service on the W2k machine which will prevent the W2k
server from attempting to become the master browse and
actually winning because of it's OS criteria.

"AndyW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new:
> Sorry Michael...We have 3 subnets (2 class c addresses,
> one private 10.0.0.0 address) The PDC is on 1 of these
> class c addresses..lets say 195.10.10.0. We have 3 WINS
> servers, one on each subnet (two NT4 servers , one W2K).
> There is a Cisco 3600 router which links the three subnets
> and they can all see each other no problems (a machine on
> each subent can ping a machine on the other subnet by
> name, not IP address, even though they can not see all
> machines in network neighbourhood)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Make sure in Server Manager under view you have All
selected.

Absolutely. I made the mistake
of ruling out the obvious. <g>