Question Server MB, how to add sound, USB 3 and wi-fi?

Mar 5, 2019
I currently have a lab workstation with a motherboard ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16. I want to add the following 3 functionalities to it (none of them come onboard):
a) sound support
b) USB 3.0 support
c) Wi-fi connection

The problem: I only have two available PCIe slots. If I had three, the solution would seem easy to me: just plug 3 expansion cards. Since that is not an option, I was wondering:
  1. is there a solution for having either sound or USB 3.0 support in the above motherboard without using a PCIe slot? Note that plugging in a webcam is required.
  2. if instead of having a Wi-fi expansion card I have a USB Wi-fi dongle connected to a USB 3.0, would I loose too much in terms of connection speed/reliability?

Any other ideas are welcome.

Lutfij

Titan
1| What sort of a sound card are you looking at? Multichannel audio for an HTPC setup? You can find USB driven sound cards.
2| No you wouldn't.

If you're not intending to spend too much and can deal with a headset for audio, you can look into USB driven headsets.

That being said, you now have the slots freed up for airflow and you can populate either of the two with a USB3.0/3.1 card.

Mar 5, 2019
Thanks!

1| What sort of a sound card are you looking at? Multichannel audio for an HTPC setup? You can find USB driven sound cards.

A simple 5.1 sound card would suffice. So, even if my MOBO has no sound onboard, would a USB driven one be ok? In such a case, when plugging in a USB webcam, would I still plug it to any MOBO's USB for mic & sound?

If you're not intending to spend too much and can deal with a headset for audio, you can look into USB driven headsets.

I do have USB driven speakers, which I guess would work the same.