[SOLVED] Server + modern GPU

razing32

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2012
Hi there.
Please bare with me as this may be a stupid question.
I would like to purchase a server - ( i like the redundant power supplies and the raid array built into some of them - have an older ProLiant)
Problem is , not sure if i can stick a graphic card int one of them.
Want to put linux on it and use it for virtulization (mostly to practice for IT certs) but if possible also play some games.

Is there any possible combination or am I off base ?

Solution
What about a tower server ?
I've seen a few from DELL but unfortunately they listed it only supports Nvidia quadro.
Not sure if any other card might work.
GPU passthrough would be cool to do.
You would need to see WHICH Quadro cards. Again, supplemental PCIe power is the biggest issue. BUT, a Dell Txxx or HP Zxxx workstation is much easier to live with physically than a true server chassis.

kanewolf

Titan
It depends on the generation of the server and which card you want to use. DL380G5 and G6 don't have supplemental power ports for PCIe cards for example.

Also 1U and 2U servers tend to be EXTREMELY loud and you usually don't want to share the room with them.

Virtualization doesn't use a GPU usually although you can do GPU passthrough.

razing32

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2012
It depends on the generation of the server and which card you want to use. DL380G5 and G6 don't have supplemental power ports for PCIe cards for example.

Also 1U and 2U servers tend to be EXTREMELY loud and you usually don't want to share the room with them.

Virtualization doesn't use a GPU usually although you can do GPU passthrough.

I've seen a few from DELL but unfortunately they listed it only supports Nvidia quadro.

kanewolf

Titan
You would need to see WHICH Quadro cards. Again, supplemental PCIe power is the biggest issue. BUT, a Dell Txxx or HP Zxxx workstation is much easier to live with physically than a true server chassis.

Solution