Question Server motherboard damaged by power-on

Oct 5, 2019
I bought an Intel S2600JF server motherboard from eBay, and tried powering it on with a standard PC power supply. I used the paperclip trick (shorting two specific wires on the power supply), but when hooked up to the motherboard, it refused to turn on. I then tried inserting the paperclip after switching on the power supply, and something on the motherboard released a puff of smoke . I assume it's toast now.

What could I have done to break it? I'm confident that I hooked things up with the right voltage and polarity (I measured with a volt meter and checked the motherboard's spec sheet for the pinout), and it wasn't sitting on anything conductive. There was no RAM or CPU present.

I'm fairly experienced with electronics but have never built a computer, so I might have made a very basic mistake.

Intel’s own DC power out requirements are for a 1200W and 1600W power supply as used in an Intel designed 2U server platform.

Power Supply DC Output Connector
The server board includes two main power Minifit Jr* connectors allowing for power supplies to attach directly to the server board. The connectors are two sets of 2x3 pin and can be used to deliver 12amps per pin or 60+Amps total. Note that no over-voltage protective circuits exist on the board.

Intel FXX1600PCRPS
https://www.newegg.com/intel-fxx160...375029?Item=9SIA24G41G1137&Tpk=9SIA24G41G1137

Oct 5, 2019
I see that your answer is copy-pasted from the user manual for the board. I read this section several times, though probably missed some important details. If your post answers my question, then I'm not understanding. Why would applying 12 V to the board fry it?

All I can think is that it expects some particular power-on sequence, and fails catastrophically otherwise. But this seems very unlikely.