[SOLVED] Server motherboard

Aug 21, 2020
I've got this project on-going and so far it's 90% completed a dual socket 1366 Xeon 8 core 16 thread system with 48GB of 1333 R. GTX 980 card twin PSUs, white lighting in a hand painted white case (Zalman Z11+) reg keyboard mouse fans all Corsair brand, ect. It's wonderful and runs Windows 10 with easy on a USB3 Micro Flash Drive. So my issue them stupid little fans, by HP the near 10k beasts without them the system posts to BIOS then closes down without fail every time. I've read posts, on jumping the PWM and Gnd and Sense leads, this and that. For the bloody life of me I cannot keep the system on. I've done so well so far but this fan issue it's a killer. I can only do so much. Just incase any readers wondered, I like my system and no using modern boards wouldn't make me happier.

Solution
I thought of that, and the extra power draw for unnecessary fans, doing nothing but eat my electricity. I went as far as as using one and jumping the cables colour for colour to the other five connectors, one fan running and data fed back to the rest via the colour jumping, off but that didn't even work. My next plan, is to wire LEDs to each PWM and Sense outputs as the board only needs a signal out to signal in repeated this may fool it in thinking there are fans connected. My next idea outside of them is to find some one who can Modify a BIOS to remove the, software instructions the board uses to identify the fans, and respond to them. Removing this feature will work, no check no fans (Done)
It is things like this that make...

RealBeast

Titan
Have you tried just attaching the fans correctly? 6 wire fans on server boards need at least 5 of the 6 fans properly attached and running. Jumping the leads won't work. Get the motherboard, or original HP manual and determine the correct attachment points for the fans.

Aug 21, 2020
Have you tried just attaching the fans correctly? 6 wire fans on server boards need at least 5 of the 6 fans properly attached and running. Jumping the leads won't work. Get the motherboard, or original HP manual and determine the correct attachment points for the fans.

Yes it's the hp fans I don't need because I have loads of ample Corsair fans, pulling air though plus a fan on each heatsink doing its job. I don't wish to use these noisy hp units

RealBeast

Titan
Yes it's the hp fans I don't need because I have loads of ample Corsair fans, pulling air though plus a fan on each heatsink doing its job. I don't wish to use these noisy hp units
I understand what you want, those fans as bad as the old high speed Deltas that I used decades ago for CPU fans at around 60dB. The problem is that the board requires 5 of 6 working to stay powered (a fail safe for the old servers). Perhaps you can figure a way to attach them in a soundproof chamber. ;)

Reactions: Myhardware2020
Aug 21, 2020
I thought of that, and the extra power draw for unnecessary fans, doing nothing but eat my electricity. I went as far as as using one and jumping the cables colour for colour to the other five connectors, one fan running and data fed back to the rest via the colour jumping, off but that didn't even work. My next plan, is to wire LEDs to each PWM and Sense outputs as the board only needs a signal out to signal in repeated this may fool it in thinking there are fans connected. My next idea outside of them is to find some one who can Modify a BIOS to remove the, software instructions the board uses to identify the fans, and respond to them. Removing this feature will work, no check no fans (Done)

kanewolf

Titan
It is things like this that make using server motherboards a hassle. Most of the time a similar motherboard was used in a workstation class machine with very manageable fan requirements. Instead of a DL360 (worst choice) or DL380 (still bad) start with an ML350 or a Z820. Similar capabilities, but much more friendly fan requirements.

Solution