[SOLVED] server pc build with old used hardware.

Feb 2, 2021
I'm planning to build a server pc that would run a Minecraft server and i was wondering if anyone knows if it would be any good.

cpu: 2 Intel Xeon E5440 2.83GHz 4 Core LGA771

motherboard: ASUS DSBV-DX

ram: since the most the motherboard supports is 24gb of ddr2 i would get 6 4gb 533mhz dimms but i cant find any information of the cpu's ram specifications

gpu: a cheap one off ebay for 10-20 since it wont need one when the server is actually up

psu: one off ebay that has enough for the components

the server will have 10 players at most and is just for a friendgroup.

Solution
CPU will run up to 1333Mhz, you also have to make sure its fully buffed registered EEC ram.

If you're already on Ebay check this out, Link Im running one at home for a file server. Drop in a harddrive and your off running. If you know someone that has a system restore disc for a dell you can reload windows on it and then upgrade to windows 10 for free.

Just search for a dell t5610 there are tons of them on ebay and just find the best deal.
CPU will run up to 1333Mhz, you also have to make sure its fully buffed registered EEC ram.

If you're already on Ebay check this out, Link Im running one at home for a file server. Drop in a harddrive and your off running. If you know someone that has a system restore disc for a dell you can reload windows on it and then upgrade to windows 10 for free.

Just search for a dell t5610 there are tons of them on ebay and just find the best deal.

Solution
Feb 2, 2021

Do you think it would be a good idea to buy this dell poweredge and hope that it runs fine once i put a hard drive in it

Servers are going to be hot and loud. I have 2 HP dl360 g7 and a HP dl380 g9 in a 5' x 10' x 10' room with its own dedicated AC unit just to keep the room around 65-70* f and you cant talk on a phone while in the room.

Look at the dell Precision T5610, it is literally a server in a midsize ATX case and is whisper quite. Its also easier to find parts for it then a server.

Servers are going to be hot and loud. I have 2 HP dl360 g7 and a HP dl380 g9 in a 5' x 10' x 10' room with its own dedicated AC unit just to keep the room around 65-70* f and you cant talk on a phone while in the room.

Look at the dell Precision T5610, it is literally a server in a midsize ATX case and is whisper quite. Its also easier to find parts for it then a server.
For a Mincraft server a small embedded thing from SuperMicro would be enough. They aren't very loud, unless running at 100% usage, and don't require a lot of power. The other option would be one of the SuperMicro Mini Tower servers. Only question is how much money do they want to throw into this and how long do they want it to run. One of those old Core 2 servers should have been recycled long ago and most likely doesn't have much life left in it. A new SuperMicro embedded server will easily run for the next 5 years in a production environment.

TRENDING THREADS