Server service missing

I just upgraded one of my servers from Windows NT 4.0 sp6
to Windows 2000 Advance Server sp4. I tried to map a drive
from my work station to this servr. I get the message
(remote computer not available). I was told you need the
server service running to make connections accross the
network. I checked some other servers and it is running on
them. I check this machine and the service is not there.
The file srv.sys is on the box. My question is can I
create this service and how do I accomplish this without a
reinstall?

"Marion Rabacchi" <mrabacchi@dickey-john.com> wrote in message news:<135301c439c1$2fb3cb40$3a01280a@phx.gbl>...
> I just upgraded one of my servers from Windows NT 4.0 sp6
> to Windows 2000 Advance Server sp4. I tried to map a drive
> from my work station to this servr. I get the message
> (remote computer not available).<snip>
> The file srv.sys is on the box. My question is can I
> create this service and how do I accomplish this without a
> reinstall?

What happens if you type:
net start server
at the command line?

If the server service starts, you should be able to fix the problem
by starting the services applet, then changing the server service
"startup type" to automatic.

--
Matt Hickman
...when faced with a problem you do not understand, do any part of it

You'll need to bind "File and Printer Sharing" to the connection. Control
Panel|Network|"connection"|Properties

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Marion Rabacchi" wrote:
|I just upgraded one of my servers from Windows NT 4.0 sp6
| to Windows 2000 Advance Server sp4. I tried to map a drive
| from my work station to this servr. I get the message
| (remote computer not available). I was told you need the
| server service running to make connections accross the
| network. I checked some other servers and it is running on
| them. I check this machine and the service is not there.
| The file srv.sys is on the box. My question is can I
| create this service and how do I accomplish this without a
| reinstall?

Binding the File and Printer sharing fix the issue
Thanks

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Marion Rabacchi" wrote:
>|I just upgraded one of my servers from Windows NT 4.0 sp6
>| to Windows 2000 Advance Server sp4. I tried to map a
drive
>| from my work station to this servr. I get the message
>| (remote computer not available). I was told you need the
>| server service running to make connections accross the
>| network. I checked some other servers and it is running
on
>| them. I check this machine and the service is not there.
>| The file srv.sys is on the box. My question is can I
>| create this service and how do I accomplish this
without a
>| reinstall?
>

>.

I had to bind the File and Printer sharing to fix the issue
Thanks

You're welcome.