[SOLVED] Server setup (hardware) suggestion (cheap)

Aug 11, 2021
Hello,
I'd like to ask for some suggestions, to someone who knows more about servers, than me.

I find myself in need to build a server with LOT of cores but for cheap.
I had my eyes on a dual Xeon Gold 6314U processor 32c/64t, that would give me 64c/128t, which is pretty good, but, it's extremely expensive and I definitely cannot afford that.

So, my budget is around $1000+/-
Do anyone knows any piece of hardware that would acquire high cores at around 2.5/3Ghz?

My current server setups are dual Xeon E5-2678v3 and Jingsha x99 moba, this setup cost me $1400 everything included (server case, psu, moba, ram, cpu's and everything else).
But, the cost -> performance is not effective, it doesn't perform good enough, for the reason that it only has 24c/48t, the CPU's get overloaded very fast and underperform.

The purpose of the server would be to elaborate graphics instructions through GPU (RX5700XT) passing through compute CPU to elaborate/calculate (that's why I need high cores and 2.5/3Ghz).
I'm open to old/very old systems, for my purpose anything is fine, I don't need new stuffs.

The key here is, the cheapest, the better.

Solution
Hello,
I'd like to ask for some suggestions, to someone who knows more about servers, than me.

I had my eyes on a dual Xeon Gold 6314U processor 32c/64t, that would give me 64c/128t, which is pretty good, but, it's extremely expensive and I definitely cannot afford that.

Do anyone knows any piece of hardware that would acquire high cores at around 2.5/3Ghz?

My current server setups are dual Xeon E5-2678v3 and Jingsha x99 moba, this setup cost me $1400 everything included (server case, psu, moba, ram, cpu's and everything else).
But, the cost -> performance is not effective, it doesn't perform good enough, for the reason that...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

But, the cost -> performance is not effective, it doesn't perform good enough, for the reason that it only has 24c/48t, the CPU's get overloaded very fast and underperform.

The purpose of the server would be to elaborate graphics instructions through GPU (RX5700XT) passing through compute CPU to elaborate/calculate (that's why I need high cores and 2.5/3Ghz).
I'm open to old/very old systems, for my purpose anything is fine, I don't need new stuffs.

The key here is, the cheapest, the better.
I don't believe you will find what you are looking for. A Xeon Gold from any reputable E-Bay vendor is $500. So two of them kills your $1000 without motherboard or memory.

Your current CPUs don't exist in the Intel ARK so they were not intended for public sale. I can't specifically find any info on them based on the part number you listed.
One think I will recommend is that you have 8 DIMMs with those two CPUs. They are quad channel memory controllers, so they are optimal for 4 DIMMs per socket.

Solution