[SOLVED] Server/Workstation First Build

Jul 9, 2021
Hello to everybody!
First things first, I've just landed in this forum, and looks like there are lots of nice and experienced people here. Im glad to have joined this community :)

Relative to the question, I want to explain the main purpose of the build that I have in my mind, before giving details with the pre-defined sticked form. It will be used as a "bare metal" home server (Im already paying for a VPS, but it serves different purposes), which will run some programmed simple scripts, as well as be streamming to multiple Youtube videos. Relative to the last task, the resolution of each video isnt needed to be very high (max 720p), but I've heard that for encoding audio it is very useful to use a CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads, specially if its for multiple streams running simultaneusly. Maybe an Intel Xeon? Which one could be suitable?

Approximate Purchase Date: this summer

Budget Range: up to 650$ i guess, but the lower the better :)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Server, Workstation, UserUse

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, Cooler, Case

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Aliexpress, Amazon, PCcomponentes

Parts Preferences: CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Not very important

I have seen several "packs" in aliexpress with Intel Xeon E5 2689, 16GB DDR3 and MoB, but I think that it wont be enough. Furthermore, their to low price makes me doubt about their quality.

Thank you all for reading, and excuse myself in advance for any grammar mistakes!

Solution
Hello to everybody!
First things first, I've just landed in this forum, and looks like there are lots of nice and experienced people here. Im glad to have joined this community :)

Relative to the question, I want to explain the main purpose of the build that I have in my mind, before giving details with the pre-defined sticked form. It will be used as a "bare metal" home server (Im already paying for a VPS, but it serves different purposes), which will run some programmed simple scripts, as well as be streamming to multiple Youtube videos. Relative to the last task, the resolution of each video isnt needed to be very high (max 720p), but I've heard that for encoding audio it is very useful to use a CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello to everybody!

Relative to the question, I want to explain the main purpose of the build that I have in my mind, before giving details with the pre-defined sticked form. It will be used as a "bare metal" home server (Im already paying for a VPS, but it serves different purposes), which will run some programmed simple scripts, as well as be streamming to multiple Youtube videos. Relative to the last task, the resolution of each video isnt needed to be very high (max 720p), but I've heard that for encoding audio it is very useful to use a CPU with 6 cores and 12 threads, specially if its for multiple streams running simultaneusly. Maybe an Intel Xeon? Which one could be suitable?

Approximate Purchase Date: this summer

Budget Range: up to 650$ i guess, but the lower the better :)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Server, Workstation, UserUse

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU, Cooler, Case

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Aliexpress, Amazon, PCcomponentes

Parts Preferences: CPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Not very important

I have seen several "packs" in aliexpress with Intel Xeon E5 2689, 16GB DDR3 and MoB, but I think that it wont be enough. Furthermore, their to low price makes me doubt about their quality.

Thank you all for reading, and excuse myself in advance for any grammar mistakes!
I would look for a HP X820 or Z620. Maybe a Z640 if you can find a good price. That way you get a complete box rather than just parts.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS