Serverboards And gaming

Ryu Hoshi

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Hey guys, i've asked a lot of people this, and i feel since none of my personal friends can help me, i should ask those of knowledge on the webs.

My friend and i have virtually the same computers. Both have 8 gigs of ram, and the same video card... cant remember exactly which one, but it's a 1g vram card, came with shogun 2 back when i bought it. He has a 2.8, or 3.2ghz quad core, i have (2) 3.4ghz processors. I dunno his make or model Mobo, but mine is a server board (how i have 2 processors)

Whenever we pick up games, i notice less frame loss on his rig, using the same settings. The only conclusion i can draw- it's my MOBO... with TOR coming out, i can't afford to run it on anything less than high settings with 30-60fps

Edit: Derp... Question: Is it my motherboard that is causing my frameloss somehow?

Different motherboards won't, err, shouldn't make a lot of difference in the framerate, with the exception being of course, the other parts. Server parts tend toward better reliability at the expense of speed. The last server board I ran used ECC Registered memory, so the memory was a little slower, the processors were a little slower, but there were more of them. It's been shown that more processors or faster processors aren't always better at getting more done.

Ryu Hoshi

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010

I see, thank you for your info, joss. This is probably where i'm falling off. The motherboard is really the only thing that makes sense, i guess i just needed someone that knew better than than i did what they were talking about to verify, thanks =).

bucknutty

Distinguished
What CPUs are you running?

If your cpus are older than his they may be slower even at the same freq. For example I have a HP XW8400 workstation. It uses 2 dual core xeons at 3.4 with HT. So the computer has 4 cores and 8 logical. That computer is about 4-5 years old.

I also have a 2-3 year old Core2quad q9650 at 3.0. In every day tasks such as games and video transcoding the the Core2quad is like 50% faster. The only time I see the dual xeon getting better performance is when I transcode like 6+ videos at once. "Some times I will run 6-8 handbrake jobs to convert home videos and the such." It seems the core2 quad is better for single threaded or low threaded apps and the xeons are better at multi threaded apps, or running the same app 6-8 times at once.