service pack 2- access denied

ok, i just got an hp photosmart 7450 printer, and i can't install the
software. i'm told it's because i don't have service pack 2, so i tried
downloading that. i get a message that access is denied, and it's a registry
problem. so i've tried fixing the registry with the solution here
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148) and i've also tried the solution
e-mailed to me, which involved using the cmds.bat program. i've tried doing
this all in normal and safe mode, and nothing is working or even getting me
closer. does anyone know how i can just get this thing running?

"kevan" <kevan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| ok, i just got an hp photosmart 7450 printer, and i can't install the
| software. i'm told it's because i don't have service pack 2, so i tried
| downloading that. i get a message that access is denied, and it's a
registry
| problem. so i've tried fixing the registry with the solution here
| (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148) and i've also tried the solution
| e-mailed to me, which involved using the cmds.bat program. i've tried
doing
| this all in normal and safe mode, and nothing is working or even getting
me
| closer. does anyone know how i can just get this thing running?

There is nothing on the HP site indicating that SP2 is a requirement for
installation of this printer. There is, however, a utility available for
download that seems to address your problem. You can find it here:
http://tinyurl.com/4la8m

You could ask Microsoft to mail you the SP2 CD - it's free ...
You may not be aware, but this d/l is HUGE - even on cable it took best part
of 2 hours (and the upgrade install, another 3 )
HTH Len
"kevan" <kevan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok, i just got an hp photosmart 7450 printer, and i can't install the
> software. i'm told it's because i don't have service pack 2, so i tried
> downloading that. i get a message that access is denied, and it's a
> registry
> problem. so i've tried fixing the registry with the solution here
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148) and i've also tried the solution
> e-mailed to me, which involved using the cmds.bat program. i've tried
> doing
> this all in normal and safe mode, and nothing is working or even getting
> me
> closer. does anyone know how i can just get this thing running?

i tried that, but it hasn't helped or even gotten me closer

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

> "kevan" <kevan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | ok, i just got an hp photosmart 7450 printer, and i can't install the
> | software. i'm told it's because i don't have service pack 2, so i tried
> | downloading that. i get a message that access is denied, and it's a
> registry
> | problem. so i've tried fixing the registry with the solution here
> | (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148) and i've also tried the solution
> | e-mailed to me, which involved using the cmds.bat program. i've tried
> doing
> | this all in normal and safe mode, and nothing is working or even getting
> me
> | closer. does anyone know how i can just get this thing running?
>
> There is nothing on the HP site indicating that SP2 is a requirement for
> installation of this printer. There is, however, a utility available for
> download that seems to address your problem. You can find it here:
> http://tinyurl.com/4la8m

i've been able to download sp2, that's not the problem. apparently, because
of a registry issue or something, i'm stuck between sp1 and sp2, and that's
what has caused the software to not install. i tried reinstalling sp1 and
fixing the registry, but neither solution has helped, so i'm out of ideas.

"Len Dolby" wrote:

> You could ask Microsoft to mail you the SP2 CD - it's free ...
> You may not be aware, but this d/l is HUGE - even on cable it took best part
> of 2 hours (and the upgrade install, another 3 )
> HTH Len
> "kevan" <kevan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok, i just got an hp photosmart 7450 printer, and i can't install the
> > software. i'm told it's because i don't have service pack 2, so i tried
> > downloading that. i get a message that access is denied, and it's a
> > registry
> > problem. so i've tried fixing the registry with the solution here
> > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148) and i've also tried the solution
> > e-mailed to me, which involved using the cmds.bat program. i've tried
> > doing
> > this all in normal and safe mode, and nothing is working or even getting
> > me
> > closer. does anyone know how i can just get this thing running?

When I upgraded to Windows XP and downloaded Service Pack 2, my HP Photosmart
P1000 printer would no longer install. I tried everything available also, and
still it could not be installed. I was told by Microsoft and HP that some
registry keys need to be removed before the printer would install. Hope you
have better luck finding a solution than I did.