Service Pack 2 and AOL Broadband

I have AOL Broadband and when I installed SP2 on my system the connection of
my lan to my dsl router became little or no connectivity. It says that it
cannot renew my ip addres, what can i do to solve this problem.

I noticed a fix with this on aol help, although this is apparently a
problem not necessarly connecting using AOL as your isp. The following
is the fix provided by AOL for this problem.

Quote:
In fact, this icon is appearing in error and there is no connectivity
problem. This is not specific to AOL members, and we hope to find a
resolution shortly.

To remove the icon from the system tray:
-- Click Start, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
-- Right-click on Local Area Connection # GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem.
(or your modem)
-- Click on Properties.
-- Remove the tick from 'Notify me when this connection has limited or
no connectivity'. Click OK.
You will see many posts to dump AOL. Other providers like Comcast that
give you a CD to install for internet access, have loads of problems
also.
At least I started the thread in the right direction, someone is bound
to jump in with the correct solution.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:F5044C00-5BE4-420B-BEB5-2478381B32FC@microsoft.com,
Taws <Taws@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have AOL Broadband and when I installed SP2 on my system the
> connection of my lan to my dsl router became little or no
> connectivity. It says that it cannot renew my ip addres, what can i
> do to solve this problem.

Get a new ISP.

AOL tells users its DSL days are over:
http://www.modbee.com/business/story/10742545p-11522558c.html

July 8th will be the end of the DSL days for AOL users. Though you'll be
offered some plan with SBC from the looks of things.

On the other hand it could be that you're contracted some sort of malware.
You could just need to reset your winsock. Start > run > cmd > enter > type
netsh winsock reset > hit enter > reboot

If no joy then a trip here might be good:

Malware Cleaning :
http://www.kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try turning off the firewall temporarily to see if that helps. If not then
can you connect directly to your modem instead of the router or try
resetting the router.

Neil