Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

Can anyone shed any light on why Microsoft Service Pack 2 installed on a new
HP Desktop would for some reason revert back to Service Pack 1 ?

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:59:56 -0600, Datman wrote:

> Can anyone shed any light on why Microsoft Service Pack 2 installed on a new
> HP Desktop would for some reason revert back to Service Pack 1 ?

Did SP2 install successfully? Did someone run System Restore? Or attempt a
repair install without reapplying the service pack?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

Yes, SP2 did install correctly as I did the download and installation on our
nephews PC.
The PC came with SP2 already installed, then a few days later it
disappeared. I thought to myself when I rechecked the computer that
something was odd that it was back to SP1 and that maybe I was mistaken that
it had never been installed. So I downloaded it and installed it just like
I had with my computers and SP2 was running well. But today I rechecked
the computer and it was back at SP1 again.
Sounds like I need to find out if someone there in their home had indeed
done a system restore.
I was just making sure that it could and had not defaulted back by itself.

Thanks so much for replying,
Darron T.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:56:25 -0600, Datman wrote:

> Yes, SP2 did install correctly as I did the download and installation on our
> nephews PC.
> The PC came with SP2 already installed, then a few days later it
> disappeared. I thought to myself when I rechecked the computer that
> something was odd that it was back to SP1 and that maybe I was mistaken that
> it had never been installed. So I downloaded it and installed it just like
> I had with my computers and SP2 was running well. But today I rechecked
> the computer and it was back at SP1 again.
> Sounds like I need to find out if someone there in their home had indeed
> done a system restore.
> I was just making sure that it could and had not defaulted back by itself.
>
> Thanks so much for replying,

How are you checking the version? Use Start> Run and type
winver
in the text box. Then click OK. A screen will appear showing the current
version and service pack that is in use.

If the system came with SP2 pre-installed, it is most likely that the OEM
used the SP2 version of XP to prepare the machine. This is XP with SP2
included - not XP patched with SP2. There is no way that I know of for that
version to revert back to the SP1 level.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

"Datman" <datman@alltel.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone shed any light on why Microsoft Service Pack 2 installed
> on a new HP Desktop would for some reason revert back to Service Pack
> 1 ?

Was this a different computer? You posted with SP2.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

Yes Frank, it is a different computer. It is a nephews computer that I help
set up for them as it was their first computer and were not very
knowledgeable about. I am afraid that they might have unknowingly done
something to revert the system back.

Thanks

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Datman" <datman@alltel.net> wrote in message
>> Can anyone shed any light on why Microsoft Service Pack 2 installed
>> on a new HP Desktop would for some reason revert back to Service Pack
>> 1 ?
>
> Was this a different computer? You posted with SP2.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

Sharon,
I am checking version by right clicking on My Computer and clicking
Properties.
You are correct, now that I think of it, I do believe it came with
SP1 installed and that I upgraded the computer to SP2 over the internet. I
did get confused as my father also bought a computer the same day and I had
to help set his up also. One came with SP1 and the other with SP2. Just
got confused which one. I still believe that our nephew has done something
unknowingly to revert it back to its original settings. One thing that has
got me believing this even more is that the icons on his desktop, as I
remember now, are back to the original display of when we turned the
computer on for the first time.
Thanks so much for your replies and help,
Darron T.

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:56:25 -0600, Datman wrote:
>
>> Yes, SP2 did install correctly as I did the download and installation on
>> our
>> nephews PC.
>> The PC came with SP2 already installed, then a few days later it
>> disappeared. I thought to myself when I rechecked the computer that
>> something was odd that it was back to SP1 and that maybe I was mistaken
>> that
>> it had never been installed. So I downloaded it and installed it just
>> like
>> I had with my computers and SP2 was running well. But today I rechecked
>> the computer and it was back at SP1 again.
>> Sounds like I need to find out if someone there in their home had indeed
>> done a system restore.
>> I was just making sure that it could and had not defaulted back by
>> itself.
>>
>> Thanks so much for replying,
>
> How are you checking the version? Use Start> Run and type
> winver
> in the text box. Then click OK. A screen will appear showing the current
> version and service pack that is in use.
>
> If the system came with SP2 pre-installed, it is most likely that the OEM
> used the SP2 version of XP to prepare the machine. This is XP with SP2
> included - not XP patched with SP2. There is no way that I know of for
> that
> version to revert back to the SP1 level.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

It is possible (easy) to remove SP2 from Add/Remove programs if the computer
was upgraded to SP2.

I don't know if Staples still has free SP2 CDs.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Yes Frank, it is a different computer. It is a nephews computer that
> I help set up for them as it was their first computer and were not
> very knowledgeable about. I am afraid that they might have
> unknowingly done something to revert the system back.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Datman" <datman@alltel.net> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone shed any light on why Microsoft Service Pack 2 installed
>>> on a new HP Desktop would for some reason revert back to Service
>>> Pack 1 ?
>>
>> Was this a different computer? You posted with SP2.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

Ordered from Microsoft yesterday for free. As they (Nephew) only have a
dial-up connection. So you can guess how frustrated, as it took many hours
to download.
Will be armed this time with a better back up plan.
Thanks Frank,
Darron T.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:02:38 -0600, Datman wrote:

> Sharon,
> I am checking version by right clicking on My Computer and clicking
> Properties.
> You are correct, now that I think of it, I do believe it came with
> SP1 installed and that I upgraded the computer to SP2 over the internet. I
> did get confused as my father also bought a computer the same day and I had
> to help set his up also. One came with SP1 and the other with SP2. Just
> got confused which one. I still believe that our nephew has done something
> unknowingly to revert it back to its original settings. One thing that has
> got me believing this even more is that the icons on his desktop, as I
> remember now, are back to the original display of when we turned the
> computer on for the first time.
> Thanks so much for your replies and help,

SP2 clears all previous restore points when it is installed. That leaves a
purposeful uninstall of SP2 as a means of returning to SP1 or running the
XP SP1 recovery provided by the OEM to return the system to "factory
state."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

Thanks for your help Sharon. I will get it corrected and try to find out
what might have happened.
I do appreciate your replies and knowledge of the problem.
Darron T.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 06:32:34 -0600, Datman wrote:

> Thanks for your help Sharon. I will get it corrected and try to find out
> what might have happened.
> I do appreciate your replies and knowledge of the problem.

You're most welcome, Darron!
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User